Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Challenges For Ci

This is a follow up query to Becs08 posting about CI AI and Ad activities. I'd really appreciate some help with the challenges in activity areas for CI sessions, inside and out, for a yr R class - can anyone recommend anything? (There's a definite note of desperation here, isn't there?!)

I to am very interested in this thread as its an area I'm hoping to develop further.

So far, I've set challenges such as

- Can you tell a friend a story using these objects?

-Estimate the amount of objects in a jar?

-How can you get the man to the top of the jar (Archemedes? s.p. sorry)

-Make a den (outdoors)

-Mr Freeze has frozen our small world animals in a block of ice, how can we free them?

Sorry not the most creative ideas, will follow this thread with interest for more fantastic inspiration!

xxx

Ci - child initiated, Ai - adult initiated, Ad - adult directed.

I made some cards which I put on tables as a challenge - don't know if it's the sort of things you're after, but here goes.

(with letter balls in the water/plastic letters in the sand) - Choose three letters, can you make a word.

(with small magnetic letters) - how many letter 'a's can you pick up with tweezers in 1 minute (need a minute timer)

(picture cards and boxes/trays labelled with different letters) - Can you sort the pictures by initial sound

(sand/shaving foam in tray) - Practise writing today's sound in the sand/foam

Find how many shells are buried in the sand

(paper plates with numerals written on) - Put the correct number of pegs around the plate

(dominoes) Find all the dominoes with spots totalling 5

(construction or recycled materials) - make a cage for an animal

- make a chair/bed for one of the three bears - (have different sized teddies for

measuring)

- can you make a vehicles to carry 4 play people

(water) make your own bubble wand. what shape do you think your bubble will be (use pipe cleaners)

(playdough) - can you makea peson/animal/face/flower?

- make a snake with a long tongue

- add legs to the millipede (need a legless milipede drawn on laminated sheet)

Hope these are the sort of things you're after.

Harricroft x

Are these challenges ci or are they not adult initiated because the adult has initiated an idea about what the children will do with the resources/activity? Just wondering as like everyone else I think I understand and then someone suggests something else or explains differently and then I am not so sure.

Guest LornaW

If I were working with Y1 & Y2 then I have challenges that the children have to complete over the course of a week. However in YR then I would see these as provocations - questions to pose and the children may or may not respond to these provocations / questions / challenges. I see Child Initiated time as a time when the adults play with and alongside the children scaffolding the learning and being a lead learner. In reception I don't see it as a time when they have to do what I have planned.

If I have made my Adult Initiated activities exciting enough then the children will follow these into their Child Initiated time but then if they have an idea they want to follow that is fine and the whole classroom both indoors and outdoors is at their disposal.

Child Initiated is when they make meaning of life etc etc!!!

Lorna

If I were working with Y1 & Y2 then I have challenges that the children have to complete over the course of a week. However in YR then I would see these as provocations - questions to pose and the children may or may not respond to these provocations / questions / challenges. I see Child Initiated time as a time when the adults play with and alongside the children scaffolding the learning and being a lead learner. In reception I don't see it as a time when they have to do what I have planned.

If I have made my Adult Initiated activities exciting enough then the children will follow these into their Child Initiated time but then if they have an idea they want to follow that is fine and the whole classroom both indoors and outdoors is at their disposal.

Child Initiated is when they make meaning of life etc etc!!!

Lorna

I wonder what you mean by being the 'lead learner'?

Do you have child initiated where the learning is led by an adult but in an activity which the child has chosen and then child led time as a different activity?

I see child initiated as children choosing and leading the activity with the support of an adult who may offer resources or ideas and ask questions which promote thinking.

I see child led as an adult initiated activity where the child takes control and the adult offers support.

I see adult led as an activity where the adult prescribes the task and the child completes it with support. This is where I would put the 'estimate the number of objects in a jar' activity, etc.

It would be interesting to hear how others classify activities. Is my view very simplistic?

Guest LornaW

Hi Upsy Daisy

No what I mean by lead learner is that the adult is an more experienced learner so I will follow the child play WITH then or alongside them talking about my learning at child initiated time.

So for example if I am outdoors and we are transporting water I will play with the children but may start to talk about what I am doing such as 'I'm going to pour all my water down the tube from the top!' of 'I wonder what will happen to the water at the end' Definately not leading them into their play!

Lorna

Thanks to all - LornaW, 'lead learner' was really well expressed and what I do when not scribbling observations! However, Harricroft's and lizgoulding's ideas are super and the sort of thing I'm needing, for all classroom activity areas across all 6 areas of the curriculum! (and yes there are elements of AI and AD in there but apparently they have been seen as lacking!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)