Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Duties Of Nursery Cook/chef

We employ a cook for 6 hours a day - she has responsibilty for the organisation and preparation of the food for the children (about 40) and all the food hygiene and food safety stuff as well. Up till now we have ordered in the food but need to cut costs as like everyone we are on a tight budget. I have asked her to do the shopping for the Kitchen locally - we are within minutes of supermarkets and a good local greengrocer, and hold her own budget, she has time as I know she spends at least an hour each day looking for things to do. She has thrown a wobbler and states it's not her job, and she doesn't have time, although she has the 'any other duties' in her job spec. Any ideas on what I can do or say ?

Would it be possible for you order online and get one of the larger supermarkets to deliver? I have used Tesco in the past for a 36 place nursery and they have delivered. Also would it be possible for you to use a fruiterer/butcher/fishmonger/baker to deliver directly to you.

I have to agree with your cook that shopping for 40 children would be time consuming and would be a lot of shopping for her to do on her own.

we have been doing online with Asda - Tescos refused as we are a business - but they have changed the security protocol for the business credit card and we can't use it any more- plus I found being restricted to one shop meant we often paid over the odds for things. At the moment I am doing it on the way into work - and actually takes me about half an hour a day, but really not effective use of my time. As I know she has time to spare I don't feel the request is unreasonable at all ? :o

Will you be providing her with a vehicle?

If she's using her own vehicle will you pay any extra insurance?

If she's not got enough work to do would it make more sense to reduce her hours and see if one of the other staff would like to be paid a little extra to take on this role?

I can see that she'd be a little irritated if she's been enjoying being paid to potter round and not do very much for a while each day. If you offer her the choice, so she knows that's not going to happen any more whatever happens, she may be more willing to work something out with you.

We would pay fuel costs, but not insurance, and yes she does have a car. The option of a reduction in hours and a staff member taking the job on might work - I do have a part-time staff member who was looking for a few extra hours, and doesn't mind what that entails ( she has offered to do some cleaning if needed when our cleaner is off) and this may be a solution , although apparently she has asked today about notice so maybe the issue will be resolved another way!