Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staffing?

Hello

Having just been promoted from Nursery teacher to FSU co-ordinator and coming through my first OFSTED with a good report I now have more issues can you help?

We have combined our Nursery and Recption class together in a newly refurbished FSU. At the moment we have myself (qualified teacher) a Nusery Nurse and an LSA on a temporary contract until Easter. After Easter we are hoping to employ another NN to replace our LSA. Does anyone know if 1 teacher and 2 NNs is enough staff for a FSU of 39 children?

Any suggestions on staffing levels would be greatly appreciated.

I really enjoyed to recent article on FSUs

Thanks

:o

In my Foundation Unit we have 21 Nursery children and 18 Reception children. The staffing ratio is 1 teacher and 2 Nursery Nurses, we find this ratio very difficult to manage. There never seems to be enough bodies to carry out the planned activities. An extra teacher would make so much difference then I might not feel so stressed all the time.

I think you will find however, that this is an accepted an normal ratio-- 1 adult to 13 children. We can always benefit from more hands on deck and if you are lucky you may be able to enlist parent helpers. The NNs should be able to take responsibility both for groups of children and for the planning and record keeping involved and although another teacher might be nice, its unlikely that school budgets would run to this.

Dont think Ive welcomed you aboard, wizzy, so welcome and good luck inyour new role. :D

Hello Everyone, thankyou for making me feel so welcome.

It is really nice to be able to chat to people about FS stuff without them thinkg that all we do is play and do finger painting!

I have had a really arhhhhh week with my NN off sick still - bad back this is week 5 and she phoned in sick for next week too!! All planning has gone slightly belly up as she has not been replaced by another NN, an LSA instead!

Thanks for all your thoughts on staffing and helping to answer my questions.

I think you're forgetting the playdough Wizzy. :o Although the playing and finger painting comes first. :D Welcome! Sorry you've had a bad week. It's always disappointing when you plan so much and acheive so little, isn't it. Hopefully your NN will be better soon! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)