Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Would You Do If You Knew That...

Oh help! I'm getting myself in a state over something I've found out and don't know whether I've done the right thing or not...

Today a newly registered childminder was talking about her looming Ofsted inspection - due either Thursday or Friday this week, or Wednesday next week. She said she'd got all her policies etc in place and was just putting everything together in a folder.

Trying to be helpful (wish I hadn't now! :( ) I started to run through a list of things to include... CRB, public liability, car insurance, MOT certificate blah, blah.

She queried the car insurance & MOT and I explained that the Inspector would be looking to see that she had business cover on her policy and basically - she doesn't! xD

Not through an oversight or being unaware but because she looked into it before Christmas and was gobsmacked at the cost :( Said she'd left it thinking she'd move to another insurer and get it cheaper or for free (Not!) and just hadn't gotten round to it.

I, and another childminder who was present, stressed in NO uncertain terms that this is totally wrong and MUST be addressed immediately. She seemed to think that a phone call to the insurer would sort it but I'm not so sure and neither was the other childminder, who pointed out that the inspector may query why this was only added to the policy today. She must have a form signed, and dated, by the parents giving permission for the child to be transported in the car so the Inspector would surely assume that she has been using the car? However, she says she'll tell the inspector that she's only just started to do so.

Initially, I felt that I'd done the right thing but now I'm not so sure :o I have rung a Network co-ordinator and brought it to her attention - she was horrified, said she was glad I'd told her, it was a totally irresponsible decision and she'd make sure that the childminder in question received a pre-inspection call and visit to check that cover had now been put in place BUT she than asked "what else may she have cut corners on?" and I can't get that out of my head....

Now I'm playing the "what if" game - what if she doesn't change her policy? what if she denies driving with minded children in her car? (she drove to and from the session today) if she consciously CHOSE not to take the necessary cover out what else may she choose not to do in relation to her registration?

The volunteer present at the session who heard the discussion is a level 3 student who asked me about the issue afterwards and wanted to know what Ofsted would do if they were made aware...?

Does anyone have any suggestions PLEASE?

Nona

Sorry didin't want to read and run as a fellow childminder. I would have done exactly the same thing as you nona you couldn't ignore knowing something like that. I wish people would treat childminding with a professional attitude that it deserves!!!!

Tink69

Nona you've told your Network Co-ordinator and she will now have to take responsibility for following it up and ensuring that this childminder has all the necessary paperwork ready for her inspection. Ultimately this minder has to be responsible for what she tells Ofsted, and I'd like to think that they'd see through her excuses about not having the policy/paperwork ready for those car journeys. It must be pretty obvious that she's driving (unless of course wherever she is going is within walking distance).

You can't think about what else she might not have done - all you can do is carry on challenging any poor practice you witness or hear about. Ultimately I guess if you're still concerned then you could call Ofsted with any specific complaints.

Its so hard isn't it when you hear someone say something that shows they really haven't understood their responsibilities, especially if you know the parents of the children concerned.

Good luck - hopefully your Network Co-ordinator will have it all in hand!

Maz

Nona you've told your Network Co-ordinator and she will now have to take responsibility for following it up and ensuring that this childminder has all the necessary paperwork ready for her inspection. Ultimately this minder has to be responsible for what she tells Ofsted, and I'd like to think that they'd see through her excuses about not having the policy/paperwork ready for those car journeys. It must be pretty obvious that she's driving (unless of course wherever she is going is within walking distance).

You can't think about what else she might not have done - all you can do is carry on challenging any poor practice you witness or hear about. Ultimately I guess if you're still concerned then you could call Ofsted with any specific complaints.

Its so hard isn't it when you hear someone say something that shows they really haven't understood their responsibilities, especially if you know the parents of the children concerned.

Good luck - hopefully your Network Co-ordinator will have it all in hand!

Maz

Thanks, Both!

I feel uneasy about the whole situation and a bit "sneaky" about speaking to the Network - wish I'd stayed at home this morning!

Nona

you did the right thing Nona - so try not to worry its out of your hands now. Funnily enough i rang my insurer last week to get business cover - didnt cost me anything! :o

You did the right thing, and also, I find it odd too that she so called found it expensive, as I took mine off my policy last week, thinking I would get money back from my policy (as I gave up after school minding finally realising full time preschool and after school minding was too much!) and it cost me more on my policy to use the car for social use only than it did to include business usage!!!

Try not to worry, easier said than done though!

Clare

You did the right thing Nona, you would never forgive yourself if something happened (GOD FORBID)

But childmindring and early years child care needs to be seen as the valued professional status we are working towards daily for the benifit of our children

Thanks for all your comments. The situation has been passed to the Childminding Quality Support Co-ordinator for her to address and should have been dealt with today - fingers crossed!

Nona

Guest jenpercy
in a similar vein..........................where can I find the code of practice/regulations for running an after school club??

Are you a member of 4children. They have a full set of policies etc