Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Web Site Link

That looks like a good website - thank you!

We did Jack and the Beanstalk last week for a whole school 'Writing Week'.

This is what we did, in case you are interested. Firstly, my colleague and I built a large beanstalk in the shared area ready for Monday morning. The children were very excited when they arrived at school. That day we told the story for them, using props. We talked about what the giant was like and in groups wrote words to describe him.

The next day a giant letter arrived at school - my TA bought it to the classroom (it was about the size of a flipchart pad). We opened it up and inside was a letter from a giant! It said something along the lines of "Dear Children, I am in hospital. I have a broken leg and a black eye. I am so sorry I chased Jack down the beanstalk. Please can you help me be a better giant? I am so lonely in hospital and would love some letters from you. Love Giant x P.S. I am trying not to do so many Fee-Fi-Fo-Fums". The children LOVED it. They set about writing letters back to him and I have honestly never seen my class do such good writing!

We also sang the songs from this book, which the children picked up so quickly! http://www.outoftheark.co.uk/jack-and-the-beanstalk.html

Hope that gives some people some more ideas they could use!

Carrots x

what super ideas carrots. I'm doing Jack and The Beanstalk this week and the children have really enjoyed it, so I was going to carry on next week. We've had a letter from Jack with some extra beans that he found in his pocket, which he asked the children if they'd like to plant. The children were really keen, but a little disappointed when they came into class this morning and their beans wheren't up to the ceiling :o We also did a 'dance/drama type' activity this morning, with the children taking on the different characters - a sad, slow Jack taking his pet cow to market, the strange man giving Jack the magic beans, Jack skipping home happily etc. The children responded really well and were enthusiastic - my classroom assistant also loved it!

We also used the Fee Fi Fo Fum chasing game that I think is on the British Council website.

Now I need to think of some PSRN activities - Calculation - for a lesson observation next week by the Head - any ideas?? We've already done some counting beans into plant pots.

What about introducing number bonds to 5 or 10? Putting ten beans in a bag, putting your hand in and taking some out. How many are left in the bag? All I can think of at the moment! I am a bit beaned out!

Have your beans started growing yet? Ours have swelled up (I had a quick peak under the soil), but not sprouted yet.

Carrots x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)