Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds Help-ahhhh

Hi-I was wondering if u could give me some advice-I have returned from being off on Maternity leave back into reception class on my request having spend nearly 3 years in our Nursery as Teacher then Manager-I have come back to the Letters and Sounds document-I have been on training before i went on maternity leave and we carried out phase 1 and part of 2 to children in the Nursery who were ready for it-Just wondered if anybody else is feeling as uninspired with phase 2/3 or letters and sounds in Reception class-I feel it it so presriptive and out LA want us to carry out all the guided reading, writing each day as well-I feel I can't fit it all in especially as I have a very challenging class and feel their PSED is far more important then if they can blend or segment or know their diagraphs lol-Just wondered if it was just me feeling like this as i'm back into reception now.

Many thanks

Mandy :) xx :o

Our whole school use letters and sounds for consistency. Nursery start with Phase one and then Reception starts from where the child is i.e. Phase 1/2. I have split my class into 2 key worker groups and they are in ability. one group is on Phase 2 and the other Phase 3. We do 20 minutes phonics a day and I fit guided reading session in on an afternoon with one group per day.

There are really good weekly letters and sounds plans on the TES website already done for you which could be adapted for your children. You will need to sign up but there is no cost

x

I understand how you are feeling. I went on sparklebox and downloaded their resources. This really helps as always ready. I also split class into 2 groups, 1 smaller group working on phase 1 and 2 and larger gp on phase 3. As for guided reading, i've been doing 1 group at story time whilst ta reads the story, works well until she is taken elsewhere which she has been a lot of this term!!

Smart Kids have produced some lovely games and a frieze to match Letters And Sounds. The frieze has been great as I used to use Jolly Phonics which was great for the actions but didn't go far enough with the sounds for phase 3. They also have phonic assessment record cards for each child which are free!

Helen

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)