Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ginger Bread Men

I'm making GBmen 2morrow and can't lay my hands on a good recipie (I've looked in forum's recipie section but none there). Any will do but I'd be particularly interested in a child friendly version like the one I've got for currant buns which uses the balance scales and flour/marg/sugar is weighed out to balance with eggs. (Got it out of child ed -I must post a copy of it some time)

Thanks

I hope this works.... never tried this before......

I'm attaching my gingerbread recipe. I did it at preschool, and used the food processor so I'm not sure if it's what you want, but it worked very well.

Carolyn

gingerbread.doc

Having just opened Carolyn's attachment - I was on a short break over half term and they had Pudsey Bear biscuit cutters for sale - two different sizes. I debated whether to buy them and in the end didn't (don't you regret it when it's too late!) I think they were on sale in Lakeland Plastics - but I guess they sell them in supermarkets too?

Harricroft

This is a great recipe that I have used lots. It makes a big quantity for approx 30 children and it stands lots of handling.

We tend to use it lots and vary the flavours - substitute cinnamon or different flavourings.

If you leave them for a few minutes when they come out of the oven they don't break and are easy to handle.

They taste good too

Here goes

750g plain flour

2 teaspoons bicarb of soda

4 teaspoons ground ginger

250g butter

375 soft brown sugar

8 tablespoons golden syrup

2 eggs

Mix sifted flour, bicarb soda and ginger

Rub in butter

Add sugar

In separate bowl beat syrup and eggs together

Stir into flour mixture and mix to a firm dough

Roll out the dough and shape

Bake in pre-heated oven 180 C

for ten mins

Cool on a rack and enjoy

I used this recipe for pudsey bears last year and they were very successful

I hope this works.... never tried this before......

I'm attaching my gingerbread recipe. I did it at preschool, and used the food processor so I'm not sure if it's what you want, but it worked very well.

Carolyn

Carolyn

Are the compare bears the standard large size ones? What does 14 bears equal (in grams)?

Diane

Mimi

I scanned the pictures in from a Dorling Kindersley children's recipe book - it works well doesn't it? I guess it's because they are big clear photos.

Harricroft

We got our Pudsey cutter from Lakeland a few years ago

alanlindaclare

I like the compare bears idea! Must try it some time! Do you have any other compare bear recipes? Play dough maybe?

Carolyn

Thank you for the information Carolyn I also like the compare bears idea you can use an egg in the same way for sponge - equal ammounts of flour/ sugar/ marg balanced to an egg - put as many eggs as you are going to use. or get each child to weigh their own ingredients.

alanlindaclare,

Thanks so much-that's a fantastic recipie. So do you use the balance scales? I've done it with eggs for currant buns. How many did it make? I would have hated anyone seeing me making gingerbread on friday-it was chaos! But they worked well and didn't burn. I'll be using comapre bears next time :D

"What does 14 bears equal (in grams)?"

Does anyone know? I need to adapt this as I have American bears! :)

I love this idea - cant wait to try it!

Would it matter, Nicola?

After all when making dough, a cup can vary considerably and the other ingrediants stay the same regardless. At least thats what I do and it always works!

Think we need this recipe in the recipe section. :o

You're right Susan. I just guess with my banana muffin recipe and it always works out fine. Although I can't get playdough quite right since I moved to the States - I dont know what is different but the cooked dough never comes out very well.

I"m going to try out the gingerbread this week.

• 3 months later...

[i was just about to make your banana muffins Nicola... is it plain flour or Self Raising?

I came on here to try to contact you and found this thread and I love the idea of using compare bears!

I made my own pictorial bird cake recipe if anyone is interested?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)