Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Curriculum

Help. Just had staff meeting to give brief introduction to new curriculum for school to be implemented by September 2011. Got a headache. I asked if there was much change for EYFS and said yes. I've not heard of any changes paricularly in view of fact recently implemented eyfs. Could head be wrong??????

Is it the Primary Curriculum your headteacher is referring to? We might be due a change of government and I've heard things are a bit 'up in the air' at the moment. I don't know much sorry, maybe someone else on here will have more information.

:o

The new primary curriculum is due to replace the old National Curriculum in September 2011 and is written to build on EYFS not replace it .(although EYFS is due to be reviewed).

The conservatives are reported to intend to go back to an English Maths & Science weighted curriculum but who knows what will happen...

Why can't they all just leave it alone for a few years (preferably a decade!!)

I remember when the national curriculum first came in and we all said it was too prescriptive, shame it has taken so many years for government to see that we were right.

Why can't they all just leave it alone for a few years (preferably a decade!!)

I remember when the national curriculum first came in and we all said it was too prescriptive, shame it has taken so many years for government to see that we were right.

So on the one hand you're complaining that they're changing things again, but on the other hand you're saying that the change is putting right something you've been unhappy with for years. Just goes to show how complicated life in early years can be, doesn't it?

And of course who knows what effect a new Government might have on decisions of this nature... :o

Maz

The new primary curriculum builds on the early years foundation stage (EYFS). This should enable schools to design a curriculum, particularly in the early stages of primary education, which is more aligned to prior learning and ways of working in the EYFS. This is particularly important in using play-based and child-initiated approaches to learning to support effective transition.

http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/new-primary-...-KS3/index.aspx

The new primary curriculum builds on the early years foundation stage (EYFS). This should enable schools to design a curriculum, particularly in the early stages of primary education, which is more aligned to prior learning and ways of working in the EYFS. This is particularly important in using play-based and child-initiated approaches to learning to support effective transition.

http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/new-primary-...-KS3/index.aspx

I've only had a brief look at it so far - am settling down with it this evening :o - but it seems to be predictably vague about what the 'early phase' looks like / might look like in practice, or even in theory! - what exactly does it mean by 'generic to the broad areas of learning'? The development matters in the EYFS are more detailed as are the more subject specific parts for the 'middle' and 'later' phases. There doesn't seem to be a lot there to support year one teachers and beginning of year 2 teachers in 'the extension of play-based learning from the early years'. Maybe I'm jumping the gun but it feels a bit as if it's not brave enough to go for a full on foundation phase till 7 but not explaining how to be a bridge between EYFS and middle and later phases. It seems to want to have its cake and eat it. Maybe?

Guest LornaW
Whereas, I think it looks very exciting, especially if it allows us to be joined up and activity based in KS1 which is the message I read!

I agree susan it may be that at last we are the foundation and the other key stages are building on our work!

Hooray!!!!

Whereas, I think it looks very exciting, especially if it allows us to be joined up and activity based in KS1 which is the message I read!

Absolutely - I think for teachers with a passion for play-based child centred learning, especially those who have moved from Foundation stage to KS1 it's great to be given the license to really go for what they believe in. I'm a bit worried for other KS1 teachers who are... less familiar :o with the principles and practice of EYFS and this way of working but are being expected to begin working in this kind of way as the curriculum doesn't give much detail of what this looks like.

I'm specifically nervous about our school where the year 1 teacher is really excited about the possibility of bringing good practice from reception into Year 1 and working even more closely with our reception class, maybe planning together etc, (I have lovely visions of having bases between the 2 classes as if we were a foundation stage unit!) but I know the (very lovely but very KS2 oriented) year 2 teacher will have a mixture of feelings: nervous, lacking in confidence, resistant, cynical, irritated by our enthusiasm...

Hello everyone,

I went on a curriculum course with my head today and we discussed the new national curriculum. The early years section relates to Year 1 and 2, the middle - years 3 and 4 and the other section - years 5 and 6.

The idea behind the curriculum is that year 1 and 2 do become more play based, but also that KS2 also rethink their teaching and make it more "hands on". It also recommends that all year groups have a role-play area!

But of course if government does change, who knows what will happen! We don't even know if we are getting a pay increase yet! Lol!

Jane x

Hello everyone,

I went on a curriculum course with my head today and we discussed the new national curriculum. The early years section relates to Year 1 and 2, the middle - years 3 and 4 and the other section - years 5 and 6.

The idea behind the curriculum is that year 1 and 2 do become more play based, but also that KS2 also rethink their teaching and make it more "hands on". It also recommends that all year groups have a role-play area!

But of course if government does change, who knows what will happen! We don't even know if we are getting a pay increase yet! Lol!

Jane x

Thanks Janebeth. I've not heard that before about early years section relating to y1 andy 2. Sounds interesting. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)