Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Growing Potatoes

Hi Debs

You need to have potatoes that are starting to sprout so that you know that they have growth on them. You could either plant them in potting compost, I have grown them in tomato grow bags, or you could cut the sprouting parts off and put them in a dish of water. It depends on if you want them to grow baby potatoes! The former is what you want for that.

Linda

We usually plant potatoes in a large bucket at the beginning of the summer term. We have to grow them inside. As the potato starts to sprout I add more compost. You have to remember to water it regularly. In the last week of term the children all sit and watch the emptying of the pot and count how many potatoes have grown. Some of them are tiny!! We then wash them, cook them and then taste them. This is a good long term project.

Anita

a barrel or dustbin is a s good as anything for growing spuds. the deeper the soil or composts , the more spuds you get. (this is why some people keep covering them when they start to shoot up). If you start now you will get potatoes by the summer.

Just a word of warning on health and safety though. Since potatoes (and tomatoes) are members of the nightshade family, their shoots and leaves are poisonous, so make sure that the children are aware of this.

I have planted my potoatoes now, we will just have to wait and see waht happens, I hope I have done it correctly. Only time will tell!!!

Thanks for all your help

Dawn

:o I have had potatoes in a pot just before christmas as well as many other plants.

We also grow an amarylas to measure with cubes ( it grows very fast!)

Most things grow in a warm light classroom but we also do experiments -no water, water only, soil only etc.

Have fun growing !!

Saw a potato grower in the garden centre, the sides slide up so you can see the potatoes growing under the ground - cost over £20 though.

• 1 month later...

:oxD:(

Unfortunately my potatoes have been drowned!! I certainly didn't water them before the Easter hols because the children had been watering them all week but when I came back I smelt them first. The stagnant water was overpowering. It seems madness because the potatoes were kept inside the classroom so it wasn't the weather's fault. I feel the only explanation was one of the cleaners that were in school over the hols kept watering them but didn't look carefully enough!!

Oh well, at least I tried!!

Dawn

I heard on a gardening programme recently you can grow them in sacks start them in the bottom and fill up with soil every time the shoots come through. The sack would allow water to drain away, use hessian or man made fabric, they both work well.

No, I agree but what about Jill and the potato mountain. Write it with the children

I feel a song coming on - And Jill went over the mountain ............. And all that she could see .................

No, I agree but what about Jill and the potato mountain. Write it with the children

I feel a song coming on - And Jill went over the mountain ............. And all that she could see .................

29869[/snapback]

We did a similar thing at my last nursery with "heads, shoulders, knees and toes" resulting from a child mishearing the words:-

Bread, sausage, beans on toast, beans on toast,

Bread, sausage, beans on toast, beans on toast,

Rice and peas and to-ma-toes

Bread, sausage, beans on toast, beans on toast!

Well it pleased the four year olds among us.

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)