Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Do I Need To Include In Report?

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what sort of things need to be included in a report for an Initial Child Protection Conference?

Its many years (about 20 years) since I last attended one of these meetings and I would like to get it right.

I am thinking that it is things like are the children clean and appropriately dressed; are they hungry at nursery; what is their self esteem like; are they witdrawn/any changes of behaviour; any injuries noted.

A bit on how the parents interact with children when they drop off/pick up, if they are involved in nursery events, contribute to learning journals etc.

I'm sure there are obvious things I have missed off my list can anyone give me some pointers and how long is the report expected to be in terms of sides of A4 paper?

Thank you in advance for any help given.

BMG

Edited by BMG

Is the answer in your Local Safeguarding Children's Board procedures, BMG? It may be that different LAs have different requirements. Wouldn't it be easier if you were offered a template of a report so that you know exactly what to include?

Sorry that's not very helpful - do you know who the LADO is and can you ask them?

Maz

Thanks Maz I will try tracking down our LADO next week, impartial advice would be helpful whereas the Social Worker is already involved.

I do appreciate that our LA's are all so different and am only looking for an idea of what is expected to be commented on, so many people are involved in this one as there are three children involved I don't want to look like a complete plonker if I waffle on too much in my "slot".

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

We've noted what time the children are brought in & collected eg very early/generally ontime/usually late, what the communication is like if they are off sick eg has been off sick little bit & parents have phoned to let us know/misses few days each week which parents say is due to sickness/is always brought in even when clearly unwell, if we've tried contacting parents to collect unwell/late collected child how that went eg quick response from adult & child swiftly collected/didn't have accurate phone numbers...

Hi

Sorry to hear you need to do a report for a case conference :o

I am involved in doing the same thing and we have 'core group meetings' which are held in between the case conference meetings.

All professionals involved with the child right a 'report' and ours is like an on going 'record'. We have a book in which we record everything 'of note' which may include all the things already mentioned and also includes anything the child may say that is 'of interest'. Overall of course it contains positive and negative information.

I do it in bullet point form where possible and certainly not reams of writing! Prior to a core group meeting or case conference I type up the information since the previous meeting and photocopy it and each member has a copy at the start of the meeting. I just put the date and then maybe ' Fred arrived on time, has been to the hairdresser, no aggressive play today. No drink in lunch box, yoghurt out of date and piece of dry bread.' I also include anything Mum may say on arrival or collection eg 'Mum commented that XXX is a little XXXX and is 'doing my head in'.

My reports vary and somedays there is little if anything to write. Obviously the child is a 'cause for concern' but if anything serious occurs, in addition to recording it we follow LSCB procedures if necessary.

Does this help? I am trying not to be vague and yet also trying not to include examples from the 'case' I am currently involved in.

Guest Wolfie

We have a template with preset headings under which to write the report - if you can wiat until Monday evening, I'll get it from work and let you know. I've a feeling that there are also prompts for what should be included under each heading.

very much as you say plus percentage attendance. I do less than 1 side of a4 usually. I don't make daily notes either, nothing like that, just note anything significant, sign and date but remember you shouldn't be keeping notes of things unless you tell the parents that's what you are doing. Unless that is likely to put the child at further risk of harm.

Thank you all for this valuable information.

If you could let me have a look at you template Wolfie that would be appreciated.

I do intend to share my report with the parents before the meeting, giving them a copy a couple of days beforehand.

BMG X

Edited by BMG

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if it will help - but if you go into Portsmouth Childrens TRust website - then click on the Safeguarding toggle down the left hand side there are copies of the forms we use in Pompey for CP conferences listed on the right at the bottom - assume these are pretty standard according to the LSCB's ? :o