Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Student Contracts

Do you use student contracts for trainees and students? The reason I am asking is that as one of the areas I would like to develop for the management and leadership module at uni is the 'use' of students and trainees in the workplace, using a mentoring scheme where the students get a named person (me!) to support them. I need to make it look good though and intend to create a student handbook, risk assessment, induction procedure and thought the addition of contracts would be a good one to include. In addition, we have two students working with us at the moment and one hasn't turned up for the past 2 weeks. We've had no notification from her as to why. She is an NVQ student so not a school work experience student (which is who I would expect to act like this).

If you do use contracts, how are they worded? I was thinking of using similar wording to those of employed staff, but obviously adapting them to include time spent at training days for their course, plus any other relevant student-y information such as who to contact in the event of absence including the setting and training providers etc.

Another question is: are student contracts treated in the same way as contracts for employed staff? By that I mean, are there any legal implications for using them? Are they enforceable in the same way that employed staff contracts are?

Again, I am thinking more of long term placed students rather than the odd couple of weeks here and there. I have a different plan in mind for these students, along the lines of a leaflet with basic info on.

we didnt have student contracts but do remember having one with the college when we took a student on long term placement.. they came annually to check our insurances, and risk assessments and H&S etc... once they knew us they only did a quick check when visiting a student to ensure it had all been renewed and was up to date.

As to student, they had a named mentor and we did give a handbook, on what was expected, dress code, conduct, confidentiality, breaks etc .. all we felt they would need to know.. and in this we said who to contact if ill, etc.. with a bit to say if they did not contact us we would let the college know..

This we did do a few times and then the college sorted it out for us.. usually after just 24hrs non contact.. and occasionally sooner when we were a bit 'suspect' about the call..one used to get a friend to ring us... another had mum complain to the college that a 6 hour working day was too long to expect.. as she always disappeared lunch time!

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)