Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dead Hamster

I just read the "dead hamster" article.

When my youngest was in yr3, the teacher decided that a "class hamster" would be a good move. It was! The first ever "class pet" in that primary school! Patch, the hamster, went with them from yr3-to-yr4-to-yr5-to-yr6. Patch spent weekends/holidays with all the class members on a rota basis. He moved up the school as they did (yrs 4-6 teachers accepting him under sufferance, I suspect). The "class hamster" experiment was never repeated in the school. I don't know why ... the children got so much out of the caring/sharing/responsibility side of things.

My 10-yr-old got off the school bus today with the longest face I have ever seen. "Bad day?", I asked. Oops, yes. Volumes of tears! Patch met his maker sometime between end of school yesterday and start of school today. He was ancient in hamster terms, and although the yr 6 children understand this, they had taken him from class-to-class with them.

I understand that the TA did it all very well today. (And she didn't even like the hamster). The children were allowed to see him, touch him. They have been assured that he will be buried "somewhere in the school grounds".

The loss of a family pet is hard to cope with. I'm sure that children find it just as hard, if not more so, to cope with the loss of a "setting" pet. - it was part of their "group" that moved up the school together. It was fitting, I suppose, that he lasted as long as yr6 - their final year in the school.

We wouldn't have a similar sad separation situation in EY. Thankfully.

Diane

Oh thats sad Diane. Children (and adults xD ) become so attatched to their pets. I know people who wont have pets but I think it provides such a good way of allowing young children the chance to experience and cope with death. And at least with it being the class pet they can all talk abut it together. When my sons first hamster died he had two days off school but he felt a bit silly explaining to his friends (he was 11) A pet is usually the first experience of dying a child has to deal with and I really beleive it helps them when closer family members die. It's also a chance for the adults (me) to explain things realistically. I had a cat, he was my baby long before the children came along, and I used to jokingly say that he was never going to die, I forbade it!! When the end came my youngest, sobbed 'but you said he was never going to die', I 'll never make that mistake again. :(

On a lighter note... our goldfish...1 down 3 to go :o

Oh Rea poor goldfish.

My daughters hamster died so we put it in a box with a cover she made it a card and put some sweeties in it. I told her hammy was going up to heaven to see the angels.... :o

The next morning my daughter asked me if hammy was in heaven now and i replied yes...................... but then she asked if we could open the box that we had buried in the garden to see if he had taken the sweeties with him....gulp xD

Hali, a freind told me ages ago about an article she's read in which it was described that practioner had, when the settings rabbit died, allowed the children to dig it up after just such a question by the children. xD:o:D

And they are not 'poor' goldfish :(:D

I took my class to one of these open farm places and came back with a guinnea pig. He is so lovely and the children have gained a lot out of caring for him from identifying his needs (rest being one of them) setting up his home and caring for him. Although I had mixed feelings about keeping a pet with all the issues etc, I haved loved having GPs as they are tame and dont mind being handled loads and so sweet. In fact our Year 3 have been using him for weekly weighing and are charting his growth which has been phenominal!

We have an African land snail, called Garlic. The children love to feed it and touch its shell. Most of the children and parents say goodbye to it when they leave to go home. We have a member of staff who takes it home every evening and at weekends (she has snails at home). We wouldn't be without our snail! :)

Rea,

Wise words spoken ....

For children, the death of a loved pet maybe does prepare for even worse, but not enough, sometimes.

Unfortunately, my children's "almost step-grandfather" (my "almost father-in-law") died unexpectedly today. A huge loss.

Little one (not so little really - she's 10) could only say "Patch yesterday, Dick today. Please, God, don't let anyone else die soon". Then tears, lots of tears.

We are all very sad.

I don't think anyone really "copes" with bereavement, whether it is pet or person. Each new loss reminds of good times in the past .... of a previous loss, other good times in the past ... and so on.

Diane

So sorry Diane, thankfully your daughter is able to "speak" her feelings and worries, and not suppress them, so at least you can support aand comfort each other.

Thinking of you.

Peggy