Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Just Out Of Interest...

just come back from an introduction to schema's evening, well 2.5 hrs with 1 cup of tea and NO biscuits, :o disgusted.

so I just wondered how many people actually use it in their setting to help plan for the individual/small group?

I have very limited knowledge in this area but thing I will read more as some things seem very interesting.

whats your take on it?

and yes I am v.v.v.nosey. xD:(

HI

If a child is showing signs of a particular shema, then I run with it as a way to develop their learning. There have been lots of posts on this and a link to some great ideas. Do a forum search and enjoy.

If we have identified that a child has one or more schemas then we will provide additional and different resources to enable the child to explore and develop, and we do lots of observations!

As a team our knowledge of schemas is developing, but it is a fascinating area and when you begin to be aware of the various schemas you suddenly see them everywhere!

Maz

I don't see schemas in every child but I do like to run with them if I see one. One little girl has developed an enclosure one which last week involved gathering small items together and ring fencing them in with bricks on the carpet. At parents evening on Monday mum was describing similair behaviour at home.This week she is taking the small items and herself under a table and pulling chairs around the edges so yesterday I gave her a large piece of material to cover the table with. It doesn't have to be a large reaction to a schema sometimes the small support has a huge impact. We have planned to do Bear Hunt to extended this den/cage behaviour.

You probably have observed schemas and reacted to them many times without knowing but now you have been told about them you will see them everywhere!

We kind of use them to run into our themes in a very loose way.

For instance, this week our theme is 'hide and seek' because of various children showing interests in hiding, wrapping, etc. Today they have a tunnel with material and pegs to make 'hides' in and are also wrapping up toys with wrapping paper and sticky tape, so 'hiding' those.

It's quite loose and not planned specifically with schema in mind but we find it a very useful way of inspiring our planning.

I'd be happy if staff responded to the word schema.............let alone acting on anything!

Unfortunatly with my lot, along with the 'worksheet' issue they think it is all 'my airy fairy way of thinking'!!!

I have had the LA in to help explain schemas, but still I get no input from staff.

xxx