Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Displays

Hi everyone

Can I just ask what people do on their displays. We have been told to steer away from making a big thing of displays and use them mainly to display photographic evidence of children's learning along with children's work. Is this what others do?

thanks

Kate

We have a designated photo board showing the children engaged in a variety of activities, with captions from the EYFS in parent friendly format. On our display boards, we continue to display the children's work, but I have started adding photos to these boards of the children creating the work that goes up.

Quick edit, just to add, that we do also have photos all around the setting of the children doing different things. They are not restricted to the parent board or display boards.

Edited by Clare

is your building just for you, as we have problems with photographs as we are in a shared building and wasnt sure where we stood with this as they would be viewed by everyone who used the building, we also have a few vulnerable children who are with foster parents, so didnt want to leave them up due to data protection, how do other settings get over this?

we also have a few vulnerable children who are with foster parents, so didnt want to leave them up due to data protection, how do other settings get over this?

We have standalone display boards that come out of our cupboard in the morning and go back at the end of the session. We have moved away from displays that are obviously made by an adult to fit in with a topic or theme. Our displays are a mix of boards full of photographs of children doing some activity or other, or an arrangement of children's artwork and quite often a mixture of both in one display.

Having to have portable boards does limit what we can do, but to be honest it does have the advantage of being able to display children's images and artworks simply and effectively so that the focus is on what the children did and not how creative the adults are.

Maz

we also don't use photo's as our room is not for our sole use but still have a main display as well as a working progress wall with the theme or child initiated creations added to through the 1/2 term our big display has a wonderful peppa pig seasons theme at the moment the wall was blank after taking the last display down and the children were asked what they would like on the wall they said peppa pig jumping in muddy puddles and it snowballed from then, it is fab with every child having an input into it.

we try to have displays with a bit of both, usually captions saying 'I made marks with my feet...' or whatever the child actually did/the process. Not normally many photos, mainly if I am honest because of the printing costs of printing them big enough to go on the wall

Clare xx

I must admit - this is a feeling very guilty response, as I'm aware quite often I read, but don't respsond, and having read your other post I feel I should participate more, so here goes...

My experience is in nurseries and am currently temping whilst trying to find premises to open my own nursery, so no experience of reception. However, within nurseries, I am a strong believer in displays which the children have participated in creating. So displaying their individual 'unique' work (see forum poem 'fluffly duck syndrome') and 'their own' comments, just as they have communicated them. I would add some dialogue explaining what the children were doing, linking it to the EYFS so that parents can see how it relates to different areas.

For adult created displays, I like them to be interactive and at child level, so for example a long tube, with a toy spider tied with wool so that when the children pull the end 'insy winsy' spider goes up and down the tube. Or displays with velcro so children can interact with the display by moving things around as they choose. I agree with lots of photographs (if possible, or in laminated books if not). Children love to see photos of themselves, so I like displays that show recent activity so the children can recall past experiences to encourage communication and reflection. and a sense of belonging.

On the other side, I do not like to see too much adult directed and 'created by adults only' displays, unless they are 'setting a scene' for something the children can interact with such as Heavy and Light, Rough and Smooth Exploration, etc.

We have a designated photo board showing the children engaged in a variety of activities, with captions from the EYFS in parent friendly format. On our display boards, we continue to display the children's work, but I have started adding photos to these boards of the children creating the work that goes up.

We do this too. We took photos of the children in the recent snow......sledging, making snow angels and building snowmen. These went on our display boards along with drawings and paintings that the children did to remind them of their time outside. I still love looking at the children's work on display. We also have a child height display board where children can go and stick any of their art work or mark making. Love to see their proud faces when showing their parents.

I think there can be a balance and would hope my setting achieves that. We have a half term learning wall which the children add to,a class display of creative work on a recent theme with photo's of the children creating it, basic provision areas at child height have childrens photo's to explain eg. How to mix paint, sand and water. Examples of creative work to create a number line, examples of childrens mark making which children can add too, a planning board explaining to parents.A good old mix of of display types. Every child height surface has an interactive activity on it.

Unfortunately our school member of staff responsible for 'Art and Craft' produces a time table of display boards around school which have to be 'filled' on a rota to a deadline often with a whole school theme like our recent India theme. :o It can be stress full to produce on demand but we do try to link it childrens interests which is why we did tigers for India.

Although we have our own building we have very limited display space (it is all doors and window!). Where we can make displays, we use some photos, but more often try to display children's paintings, mark making etc. but change them very very frequently. We do not mount them, but do ensure the edges of the paper are cut straight before the child is even offered the paper. We then try to put them up as soon as they are dry enough and with the child helping / watching. We used to find that the children did not realise the paintings etc were their work so felt this would show to the children where their personal 'work' is displayed.

We have name cards which are laminated to put next to the 'work' and these can be re-used many many times. The items may then only stay on the wall for a few days, but all children get recognition this way.

Gruffalo2 :o

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)