Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents' Evenings

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone could help with my dilema.

What does your school do if you have a family where the parents are separated/divorced and they request separate parents' evening appointments. This seems totally unmanageable - you could end up with a massive extra time committment if say just half of your children had parents who were separated/divorced.

I am sure I have read it somewhere in the past that separated/divorced parents are each entitled to individual copies of reports, letters sent home etc. but not to separate parents' evening appointements. Is it just my imagination, or wishfull thinking?

Any advice welcome - thanks.

Hi there

I'm afraid that I would give the separate appointments and indeed I do this . Yes it may mean more appointments, but I see it as their right if that's what they request. You can't make them come as a couple. That's why they separated. Friction could be huge. On the other hand, I have seen a separated family together, but that was on agreement with them.

We've given separate appointments in the past, it's always the child I feel sorry for, if communication has broken down to the extent that it's difficult to be in the same room as each other it makes you wonder what their home life is like :o

I think I'd rather have to stay later than try to manage an effective exchange of information involving two people who can't bear to be in the same room.

I don't think that trying to force parents to share this type of appointment would be in the best interests of the child. It could just add another layer of guilt to an already stressed child and more conflict in an relationship already dominated by it. You could also miss out on some very important information about the child if one parents is too uncomfortable to attend or feels unable to speak freely.

In the name of parent partnership and equal opportunities I would find a way to see both parents in individual appointments if that's what they need.

we just acommodate the parents like the others have said although i tend to not do it on the same night so i saw one parent tonight and im seeing the other at half three tomorrow, and they are normally grateful so you cansuggest times that are best for you too x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)