Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Qualifications Of A Ta In A Reception Class

Hi there - does anyone know about the recommended qualification for a TA working in a class of 30 alongside a qualified teacher? Also does that mean their job description should be level 1 or 2 Teaching Assistant? Have looked in the guidance, but wondered if there was anything more recent and definitive? Many thanks - and sorry if it's really obvious and I've missed something!

I don't think their is a defintive answer to this.

In our reception class we have two TA's both are paid at level one but one member of staff has since qualified to level 3.

I expect in a world where money wasn't the main factor, a level 3 would be best... but then some level ones with no qualification but bags of experience are totally brilliant!!

Will look forward to seeing what others say!

All the TAs in my school have to be minimum Level 3 qualified and most are employed as a Level 2. The level you are qualified doesn't equate to the levels of TA you are employed as ....if that makes sense. You could have a HLTA [Level 4] who will be level 3 qualified or you could have a level 2 TA who is degree qualified. We also have some classroom assistants level 1 and they have to be at least NVQ2 qualified but wouldn't tend to do as much as a level 2 role. We have a few Level 3s who once again have to be at least level 3 qualified. More responsibility goes with the levels as they move up 1,2,3,4.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)