Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Booster Classes For Eyfs

I am trying to plan CLL and PSRN activities for children who have the potental to achieve level 6 FSP in June/July. Clear planning and structure on my part will assist my LSA in record specific, informative observations that support the progress of this particular group.

I would be very grateful to hear if anyone has already made provision for children who need a boost to reach level 6 in the areas mentioned above. I know what target to write down, its just that with the other groups (those who will def not achieve level 5 or above) and (those already working towards level 5) my head is in a spin!

Eight children need 'the' boost. I have split them in two groups, with my LSA taking each group for 20 mins per week (aswell as all the other activities I have planned for her!)

Then there is the organisation of the usual packed timetable and continuous provision etc . . . on top of everything else. PLEASE HELP! I do not have a particulary bright class, I am consoladating what they already know so they are confident to move to the next step. Where do I start ?

Dori x

Dear dori Sounds like you may be getting some pressure from your senipr leadership team!

I honestly do think you are setting yourself, your LSA and your children a daunting task. I am sure the ELG were never intended to be used in this way and they do not need to be achieved until the end of EYFS which is 31 August after a child's 5th birthday so for some of your children that will be after they have left your reception class. Also points 4 - 8 are not hierarchical, can be achieved in any order and all 6 areas of learning have the same weighting. Yes CLL and PSE are indicators but the rest of the areas are as important at this stage in children's learning.

As the handbook says

'The primary purpose of the EYFS profile is to provide year 1 teachers with reliable and accurate information about each child’s level of development as they reach the end of the EYFS, enabling the teacher to plan an effective, responsive and

appropriate curriculum that will meet all children’s needs.'

and

'The EYFS profile sums up and describes each child’s development and learning achievements at the end of the EYFS. It is based on ongoing observation and assessment in six areas of learning and development

I know that we are told a score of 6+ is a child making good progress but that does not mean point 6 it means for each scale point achieved, 1 is added to the base score of 3 ( as they have to achieve 1 - 3 before we can award them any points above 3) to give a total score. For example, if a child attained scale point 4, scale point 6 and scale point 8 on a particular scale, he or she would add 3 to their base score of 3 to create a total score of 6.

Keep to all the good work you are already doing with your children. Work in small groups at focus time and ensure you have plenty of child initiated time for the children to consolidate their learning through their own play and you will see them more forward.

Lorna

Thank You Lorna,

this is such a clear explanation, I appreciate you taking the time and look forward to sharing this with my colleagues so we can all take a deep breath and laugh about it now! You have given me confidence in what I am doing now, it means alot. :o

Thank You Lorna,

this is such a clear explanation, I appreciate you taking the time and look forward to sharing this with my colleagues so we can all take a deep breath and laugh about it now! You have given me confidence in what I am doing now, it means alot. :o

Just to add as well that although the FSP can't be used to predict children's achievement higher up the school there does seem to be a general agreement that a child is only deemed 'ready' for year one if they have scored 78+ points total and at least 6+ points (that's any six, not six hierarchically as Lorna already described) in all the PSED and CLL scales.

What this effectively means is that even if a child has 8s or 9s in all the PSRN scales, if they have only achieved 4s in the PSED scales they will potentially still not cope with the year one maths curriculum because they are not emotionally ready to deal with it.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that all the scales should be treated equally and that you shouldn't put too much emphasis on PSRN and CLL even though these area seen to link to 'important' subjects further up the school.

Also I agree with Lorna, I wouldn't expect reception to be getting booster classes. They're so young and they'll develop at their own pace assisted by the great work you're already doing, we can't force them to be 'ready' before they really are.

Just adding to LornaW - it's important to reiterate that each point is a separate entity and relate to different elements on the 6 areas, ie across the 26 aspects of learning within them.

1-3 generally attained in order as they are broadly developmentally sequential

4-8 are a flat line - they can be attained in any order so I could have points 1,2,3,5,7,8 and my total would be 6. I think it's helpful to refer to outcomes as "total points" rather than just saying this child got 6, as that is where misinterpretation lies.

Personally I would have preferred them being labelled a - i!!

The handbook gives all the guidance and information you require as does the annual Assessment and Reporting Arrangements (ARA) document for FS and KS1 which should be in your school and which you need to look at too.

Cx

and just to add that your children will all develop in their own time and sometimes thay may just no be ready to use what you are wanting them to achieve x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)