Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journey/record?

Hi al,

Was just seeking some thoughts/opinions from likemided people...

I went on a course recently which sugested a lovely idea for enhancing home/school sharing.. They suggested what i think was called a learning journey. A sheet which parents can fill in and share more information throughout the year. Eg what they would like their child to achieve at school, anything significant they have done out of school etc

Just wondered if anyone else uses this or have anything simillar to share?!

Many thanks in advance :)

Guest eagleeye

Hi, I have different slips of paper hanging in plastic wallets in my cloakroom and the parents help themselves, fill them in and return them. They tell us all sorts of things, about swimming lessons, getting dressed on their own, counting, reading, being helpful, any outings or trips they have been on etc. These get shared with the class if they are a "WOW" one and then stuck in their Learning Journey. Some parents love it and fill loads in, some fill a few in and some don't do any! Some parents will also give us a photo and we stick that in with the WOW too.

Each term we send home a Superstar Survey which is used to gather information about the child and their interests etc. We also have a home/pre-school communication book which is used to share information between home and setting about the every day stuff that happens in between - a difficult night's sleep, learning to ride a bike etc.

Seems to work well for us.

Maz

I like that idea HappyMaz - a half termly interests questionnaire type thing. Each Friday my Reception children do a 'This Week...' sheet where they draw or write, or a mixture of both, depending on their stage of development 2 or 3 things they have done during the week. We try to encourage them to think about a mixture of child initiated things as well as adult led, and sometimes they mention stuff they have done at home too. The parents seem to like them as they can see a little of what the child has been doing (when they go home and say 'I played'), and there is a space for parents' comments - those who write on the sheets usually write comments linked to what the children have been doing, or to do with how well their writing is coming along, so it would be good to have parental input about children's interests, etc, at home.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)