Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Entrepreneurial Skills In Infant School

My daughters school had an inspection and one of the recommendations that was made to further raise standards and improve the quality of education was to take steps to further develop pupils entrepreneurial skills so that they are better prepared for participation in the workplace.

What are you doing in your schools to develop their entrepreneurial skills and is there anything that is working well ? I would also love to hear any ideas from other settings as to what you think may work.

Many thanks.

Yes, we are aware of this too.....as a result we've just held an enterprise week tagged onto culture week. The whole school took part in an African culture week & the year 5/6 pupils made jewelry, canvas art & clay thumb pots with an artst that came into school, we made fair-trade foods & there were lots of other stalls, sweets, drinks & stationary. The event was then held in the hall after school. Monies raise will go to an African school that we have since linked with.

Honestly I couldn't believe it when I read it as they're only an infant school.

The Yr 2 pupils have a fruit stall and they recently held an art exhibition of their own work to sell to parents....I'm not sure what else they're expecting 3-7yr olds to do ????

Our year 5 have been having a bun and cake sale alternate weeks. Baking, postering, leaflets and generally organising and running.They have been raising funds for their residential visit.

Ferre Laevers refers to entrepreneurial skills in young children and my understanding of this was children taking the initiative, using their imagination in a situation and being independent enough to develop something in the way they want it to go rather than the adults.

Could this be what the Ofsted team were refering to?

Lorna

We've got stuff on our SEF about skills that will be useful in the workplace (literacy, numeracy. ICT and problem solving) and understanding about jobs from meeting visitors to school. We are infants too and OFSTEd had no problem with that.

The primary school I take minded children to have ongoing schemes...

a bring and buy toy sale, run by the children at lunch and play times

Y5 make and sell flower arrangements (garden flowers donated by parents)

Y6 take photos of individual children in costume at the Nativity and their parents can buy them for £1

Y6 make and sell a souvenir programme for the Nativity, again sold at performances for £1

As it's a Catholic school some funds go to Cafod but the school also support an orphanage in Rwanda and funds are sent there too. This year they also had an "extra" Mufti day, at the children's request, for Haiti.

Nona

We use the IPC in our school and the last two years we have held a Christmas market. Each class has made something to sell linked to their topic- so this time for example years 3 and 4 made handmade chocs (topic- chocs) and year 1 made photos frames and fridge magnet holders (topic- ourselves).

Each class had to work out what they needed to make their items and cost it. Then they had to apply for a loan from our PTA/ Friends of the school to buy those things. Then when the items had been bought they made them and decided on a price, taking into account their costs. The older children (Y3 and Y4) made posters to advertise their products and sold them. From Y1 up they had a go on their stand, selling their product. After they had to count the money and take out the loan amount and work out how much profit they made. Each class was allowed to spend their profit on whatever they wanted.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)