Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dyeing Fabric Or Wool

Hi - I wondered if anyone had any ideas or experience of dyeing wool, fabric, paper etc? We were looking at a jumper and talking about how it got from sheep's wool to coloured yarn and we thought it would be good to have a go at dyeing ourselves. (not dyeing ourselves, doing the dyeing ourselves - although I expect there will be some self-dyeing involved... :o )

I rememer doing tie-dyeing at school when I was little - rubber gloves and a big bucket of fabric dye. However I imagine jumpers are a bit more difficult to dye. I've done it with the Brownies too - I bought the little silver Dylon containers and followed the instructions.

Ooh what fun - might have to do this soon!

Maz

We did tie -dye 2 weeks ago as part of out cultre week, Dylon do packs that have squeezie bottle ( a bit like hair die) that you can place directly onto the material. Children brought in their own shirts.....it worked out really well. One pack did two reception classes. ( We had loads left over too)

I've also tried using red cabbage & beetroot water to dye wool, it was ok but not as good.

Hi emmajess

Have done tie dyeing with reception..used Dylon tablets in a bucket of water. We did the dyeing outside and needed aprons and gloves.

Suggest you tie the fabric as reception children couldn't tie it tight enough..used a cut up sheet, about A4 sized piece for each child. Children put marble in centre and then adult tied elastic band around marble. Then need to tie fabric 2/3 times more. We let kids do this and tightened it just before putting in dye. Children dunked sheet in dye and then were able to cut elastic bands off. They were really surprised at the effect and thought it was magic..definite WOW! factor for them.

Also made a fantastic display.

Hope you get chance to do dyeing with children..they will LOVE it.

Redbase

Right, so we're hoping to do the tie-dyeing tomorrow. My lovely husband went and got the dye for me on his day off - I asked for cold water dye but I don't know if he saw that / they didn't have it /... so he got the Dylon machine wash dye and the Dylon hand wash dye, which you use warm as he didn't know which I wanted. Didn't like to say actually I wanted the cold water dye like it said on the list.... :o Anyway, I'm not going to use the machine dye as obviously it would take away lots of the experience, so i just wondered, before I start, does anyone know of any reason why I need to definitely wait and get cold water dye, or can i just go ahead with the hand wash dye?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)