Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inclusive Learning Environment

I am trying to write a presentation about the physical learning environment in the early years, and inclusion. I would like any thoughts on this, as I'm a novice! My main idea is that the learning environment as advocated in the foundation stage is supportive of SEN as it supports sensory play and independence, I then hope to discuss some ways to work on this environment to further support SEN eg makaton signs and symbols... any ideas please I'm a bit stuck! I can't find any books specifically on this topic! Thanks

The first thing that springs to my mind is the layout of the environment being supportive to children with SEN. Space to move around, low level shelving for children to choose, photographs/labels on boxes for children to be independent in taking out and putting away toys, etc. Indoor/outdoor accessibility is important too. Is that the sort of thing you meant? :)

Community Playthings produce some literature about setting out different areas of learning and aspects to consider in the physical environment. You might try their websites

www.communityplaythings.com

www.communityplaythings.co.uk

:)

Yes that's the kind of thing Helen. Thought I might find a book specifically on that - an inclusive environment which promotes independence... but nothing. It is for 10 mins to a group of MA teachers who are retraining with Early Years.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)