Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transport Continuous Provsion Ideas

We have decided to do a mini topic on ‘transport’ until some signs of spring appear. I’m struggling to think of enhancements to continuous provision, particularly the maths area. Any ideas much appreciated!

I've used 'parking cars'-sticky lanels on toy cars to match to numbered parking spaces. You can match dots and/or numerals to differentiate. Could also adapt to trains and engine sheds, aeroplanes, boats etc.

we hide numbered cars in a box of shredded paper, children find a car, and then have to match the number to the numbered spot on a numberline mat, we differentiate as much as we can as we play, so for very able children we time how quickly they can do the whole 10 numbers and for those without much experience we help to match them by colour or size etc.

You could draw a car park on a large sheet of cardboard and then put out sets of cars in only 2 colours. That might bring out some comparison language, calculating activities, or even pattern making in the spaces.

You could play in the area with the children telling number stories for them to act out.

If you have the mini motors set you could put those out with some tubs for sorting activities. Add some post-its for labelling / mark-making.

Use photos from google images or other internet sites to make a racing car photo number line, or a Thomas inspired train number line.

Here are some photos from our LA's Early years exhibition that I took that might inspire you.

post-5010-1266861003_thumb.jpg

A local garage gave me some unwanted number plates which I put in the children's writing area along with rectangles of card. The children then copied or wrote their own number plates which they blu tacked onto the bikes and trikes in the playarea.

Helen

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)