Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Suitability (when Already Employed)

Guest jenpercy

Guest jenpercy

reading through the articles on OFTED inspections. I was struck by one remark that a setting now had annual health reports on staff to ensure continued suitability. How can you do this. Can you dismiss someone who becomes mentally ill (schizophrenia, for example). I tried to dismiss someone but cocked it up, she brought in the union and now I have to be very careful about discrimination against her. Anyone's advice on policies/practice in this area would be very welcome.

Ps I know this is a closed forum so I felt able to disclose this here

We use a very simple form for the staff to disclose any health changes or reasons why they might experience difficulties in their job, they complete the form annually. I suspect that if they did not disclose something which was later found to have serious repercussions on their abilities, i.e. some drugs or other then you could use that as part of your evidence to dismiss.

A lot of the providers on here often quote ACAS I think as being very good at telling you what you can and can't do, should and shouldn't do. I haven't ever used them myself so can't recommend.

I'm sure someone will be along very soon who will be far more helpful than me!!!

We use a simple format declaration to ask staff to declare anything medical or otherwise that might affect their suitability annually. If they disclose something then we can risk assess (hate these words!!) the impact of this on our practice and setting and take appropriate steps. If the staff member doesn't disclose something which later comes to light that could lead to disciplinary action and staff are made aware of this.

Yes we have always used an annual form for staff to fill in to say if there are any health issues likely to qffect their ability to do their job. If someone has an issue, physical or mental, as mental health issues are an illness like any other, as long as that person is capable of doing the job and is no danger to the children, then there isn't a problem. It may be that someone needs something put in place to support them in their job. I know of several teacbers with voice problems who have been sent for speech therapy, and one of them now has a microphone system so that she doesn't have to raise her voice.

Funny, I was just thinking along these lines before I read this thread. Are there any guidelines as to what might constitute a medical unsuitability or is it up to each employer to decide?