Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lesson Being Observed

Hi there

I am being observed by the principal of my school next week and she is specificaly looking at our target children and writing. Bearing in mind I teach reception does anyone have any ideas for a FABULOUS lesson.

our theme this term is animals.

Many thanks

jackie

A favourite of mine is sand writing - each child has a paper plate of sand and sticks of various sizes. The then make marks as they choose whilst you talk to them about what they are doing and which sticks they find easiest to use - short/thick/long etc. I take photos of their creations which we look back on and use as a permanant record.

What about making up there own version of Brown Bear, Brown Bear what do you see? You could fit it to your animal theme (ie: the jungle, savannah, zoo, farm etc). I did one and started with 'Jungle, Jungle what do you see' and then as the whole class part we though of different jungle animals and their colours in talk partners, then wrote the suggestions on IWB with a drawing on a new page for each suggestion.

The children could then go and write their own page for a book, and you could use a writing frame for children to differentiate the activity.

Do lots of reading of the story first as well to help the children to build the structure of the sentence in their heads before attempting the writing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh that's a good one Laila,

...And you could have some lovely enhancements in the different areas of your classroom- role play in the jungle, with animals and explorers notes to write, jungle animals in the sand, crocodile river in the outdoor area, WATCH OUT poster templates in the writing area.

you could begin by going on a jungle trip, complete with explorers hat for one of them, looking out for jungle animals, reading messages from the 'lost' explorer (a teddy!) using the repetitive language from the book- jungle, jungle, what do you see? and have a semi hidden animal for them to spot...maybe they could have a go at mark making the names of the animals

Get a bit carried away! wish I was doing that...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)