Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snack Bar

We have recently been advised by our ELA to introduce a snack bar/cafe. :o I was wondering if anyone already runs this idea or is considering it and could send some practical tips my way.

Looking forward to your help xD

Aslett

Hi Aslett - welcome!

We introduced a snack bar at a preschool in which I worked for a while and we were very keen to do as you are doing now - find out the pro's and cons, as I can remeber here are some of the points that we discussed:

-Hygiene -

Training the kids in handwashing

Obviously making sure that used cups and snack are disposed of - having a 'bin for the remains (great for making compost as KUW activity!) and a basin for used cups.

-A suitable place - being near a tap, not to 'busy', seating.

-Adults 'checking' the area for refilling and cleaning up spillages

-Linking it to other things we were doing in the preschool - for example one week we made it into pizza hut!

-The 'amount' of independence that you want the children to have - will the pour their drink? will they have access to a cloth if they spill their drink? Will they be able to take their drink away or will they have to drink it there?

-One other issue that was brought up (after we started!) was the 'equal' distribution of snack as some children were eating more than others.

-Having open and closed times - for example 1/2 an hour before lunch as kids were filling up on fruit and then not wanting to eat their lunch.

I think that its a lot about training and modelling (I seem to remember drinking rather a lot of orange squash for the first couple of weeks)

Hope this helps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)