Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Doctors/hospital Roleplay

hi,

i work in a state nursery and we are just starting a topic on doctors and hospitals does anyone have any great ideas of things theyve tried and tested. were making a doctors come hospital roleplay with a baby area etc but its trying to think of other activities to do related to health etc any ideas would be very much appreciated ty :)

Hi kitkat - love the name!

Doctors/hospitals role play offers lots of opportunities for 'writing' - so lots of clipboards, appointment cards, diaries to make appointments, message pads etc. They could also make temperature charts for each patient!

And don't forget the telephones for informing patients their operations have been cancelled at the last moment!!

Lost of bandages as well - our children loved tending to imaginary wounds, sprains and broken bones!

Do you know any radiologists/radiographers who could bring in some x-rays - can't see them quite so well without the light box, but children are always fascinated!

I hope you enjoy yourselves!

Maz

We got a great playbox from Action for Sick Children on loan, but I've a feeling that this is something that is only in Scotland. There were small world figures, fuzzy felt, jigsaws, books, as well as a large variety of hospital role play equipment. You can get great stethoscopes for role play which really work! I don't know about the children but I had such fun trying it out. :D The role play stuff also included bandages and dressings, eye pads, cardboard 'sick buckets', name bracelets, disposable gloves and masks, xrays, dressing up clothes, temperature charts on a clipboard.......I'm sure there was more! :( This was one that really fired up the children. I included lots of soft toys/dolls for them to practise on. :oxD

It's probably too late to arrange now for this time - but if you do it again - we contacted the ambulance service when we were doing a topic on People who help us, and they sent a paramedic and his ambulance in. He was fantastic and showed the children all the different equipment in the ambulance. He was really reassuring about why people travel to hospital in an ambulance and I'm sure if any of our children ever have to go to hospital in an ambulance they won't be half as worried as they might have been.

Harricroft

What a great tip Harricroft!

I will definitely put that into my plans the next time we do 'people who help us' (on my very first day at the nursery a couple of years ago we were doing this topic, and a very nice fire crew had been organised to visit. Sadly it didn't become a daily occurrence, but I stayed anyway!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)