Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shape & Colour

Spring time we go for a colour walk, this could easily be a shape walk as well if you have interesting grounds or aspects to look at. We are in a large hall with grounds we may use, the hall is on the corner of a cross roads with buildings closeby, so there is always plenty of shapes in the buildings to be looking at or in the shrubs, flowers, trees etc. If you can pick up some fallen twigs etc. you can construct shape patterns with the children, or 'mini' gardens outside in trays with the stuff they find.

Would they be able to make shapes using squeezy bottles of water onto dry tarmac?

Ours like to do rubbings of things like tree bark, manhole covers etc.

Looking at shapes on cars in the car park if you have one.

Ours do surveys on the colour of cars which pass by, which we can then look at later and assess if more red cars went past or whatever.

Could you make shapes from rope and play games where they all need to jump into a shape

Could you use different colour chalks to draw shapes on the ground outside? You could perhaps have children pour their own colour food colouring into water buckets and then encourage them to 'paint' shapes on the ground.

Or hide different colour 2D shapes around the outside area and help children to discover them on a shape treasure hunt. You could perhaps give the children a printed sheet with the shapes on and encourage them to match the ones they find.

Maybe you could play music outside and have shapes drawn on the floor. When the music stops, call out a child's name and the name of a shape. They have to run to that shapes and jump inside it.

Running out of ideas at the moment but hope they are of some help.

Thanks so much Panders, I'll put that on the plan, I've got lots to go at now, I'm that used to being in a reception class, think I had a bit of a panic. Better get used to it as I've been asked to go into the nursery from next Sep'.

Thanks again

How about a parachute game - cut out shapes underneath challenge individuals to find specific shape.

A shape walk was popular too - fits in with shapes in the environment

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)