Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scaffolding Writing

I was at an Early Years meeting last week when the adviser talked about scaffolding writing th Russian Way. This seems to involve repeating what the children want ot say and then marking it out with hi lighters. We tried in school and were amazed with the positive results. Unfortunately we know very little about it and are trying to find research or books on the internet with no luck. Does anyone use this or know what I am talking about and can point me in the correct direction please.

Hi there,

Funny I was thinking of the very same thing just a moment ago, knew I had read something about it somewhere and decided to search here.

It is the work of Vygotsy that has interested many professionals and if you go to Observation, Assessment and Planning on this site, there is a link entitled Teaching of Writing in Reception. There is a document you can open which is very helpful.

I am going to try this with my younger children after half term.

Gud luck :o

Thanks that looks like what I was after. We are a school in Kent, but only a fraction of us seem to know about it!! I started trialling this last week and was amazed with the result. Children immediately wrote on the scaffolded lines, so words were clear, spaces adhered to and writing was able to be read independent of the children. The only problem we noticed is that a couple of times, we were tempted to alter the children's grammar when they told us their ideas. This lead to slight disaster as they continued to write what they wanted not what we had then scaffolded so it didn't fit! Therefore however irritating it seems, concentrate on grammar in separate sessions.

I would love to know how other teachers find this.

Here's the link to the thread Centurians is talking about. Scroll down and you'll find the link!

Thanks Centurians - not sure how I missed this but it will be very useful

Thank you for the link HappyMaz :o I'm not sure how I missed that either.

Hi Willow

I have been working with practitioners in Kent on this Scaffodling Wrtiting and we have added it to our training for Letters and Sounds. It certainly is proving really successful and I think part of this is the private speech involved before the drawing the lines and then letting the children do the writing.

We recommend you introduce it in shared writing first modelling it with the children then using this technique in guided writing.

There is a lot of research on this and we have tried to get the researcher from MCREL university to come over to Kent and do an input on it but so far no luck!

So glad you are finding it useful If you want to know more PM me.

Lorna

• 2 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)