Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fire Station Visit

Hello everyone, hope your half term break has started well!

I am in the process of planning an outing for one of my BA Hons Assignments and wouldlike your opinions.

The module we are currently looking at is focusing on potential for learning outside of the setting outdoor environment. We have to plan and carry out an outing, which extends children's learning. Over the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that some children in our pre-school have shown an interest in acting out fires in the home. We have a role play fire extinguisher which is often being used in these emergencies, with children, both boys and girls, running to the phone and 'calling' the fire brigade. In addition, some of the newer boys have shown an interest in cars etc and can often be seen rolling around the floor making nee nor noises as they whizz the cars around. Our theme for next half term in Spring, but I would really like to build on these interests and obviously link to my assessment criteria!

I would like to take the children to the local fire station and have come up with the following points to think about. As yet, I haven't had a chance to speak to my manager, apart from showing her what I need to do, so this will all be dependent on whether or not she thinks it would be possible.

1. Which children should I be looking at aiming this outing? Not all the children are showing an interest and although I feel they would all benefit from the experience, would it be better to only go with the children who are interested at this time?

2. Ratios: I will have to clarify with my manager what the procedure is for outings and ratios. This will also determine how many children we can take on the outing. Also, considering those parents who would like to help.

3. Transport: The fire station is a 10-15 minute bus journey away. It would be too far for us to walk. I think this would link in well though for those children who are interested in cars etc.

4: Suitable day and time: because we are a sessional pre-school, we would have to think about a good time to take the children. I know this one seems pretty obvious and will probably link up with the number of children to take, for example, if we were to take the children who attended all day, there might not be so much pressure to get back before the end of the morning session.

5: Contacting the fire station and asking about visiting. Ideally I would like for a fire officer to speak to the children about their jobs and what they do, whilst showing them around the fire station. Would this be likely to happen? I would like the outing to be as interesting and as hands-on as possible for the children to support their interests. Who would I contact about this?

Like I say, this is very early stage planning and I have never really planned an outing myself although I have made suggestions.

Issues regarding risk assessments will be dealt with by me, under the guidance of my manager but is there anything else I should be thinking about? I've got a feeling there are some obvious things to consider but I am missing them.

Thanks in advance!

I think your numbers will depend on what the fire station say. They might only allow small groups, especially if they are young. If you can get your plan in place and then speak rto them they will probably tell you what you can and cant do. I would look to taking all of them though, they might not be showing an interest in playing at fire fighters in the setting but that doesnt mean they wouldnt be interested in a visit. If you can take all the children then you could close the playgroup for the day if everyone is willing to go on the trip, or ask parents to meet you there, it helps with the transport problems too. Ratios are up to you as a practitioner who knows the children. Some poeple like to stick to 1:2 when they are out, but you might have really sensible children who will follow instructions about holding hands and staying near the adults, so you might be able to manage 1:4 or even 1:10, only you know really.

If you cant do the visit for whatever reason, you could ask the firefighters to bring a fire engine to you, I'm not sure who you'd contact, why not pop in and ask them, they'll know who their area community officer is, or maybe you just have to write a request? Hope it goes well

Edited by Rea

In the first instance I would ring the Fire Station to get the lay of the land. This might help to clarify some of your other points as Rea stated. Ours was super friendly and welcomed preschools. Firstly they would give the children a little health and safetly talk. Then they would get a fire engine out and show the children round, letting them take it in turns to sit in it. Finally they let each child have a go with the hose which was fabulous fun. When I did it all the children went and most of the parents too, so transport wasn't a problem. They were obviously very used to doing it and had their own risk assessments in place.

good to do a trip but just bear in mind the age of your children and that the fireman (mmm) may not be able to bring the level of the visit down to the age of the children,

we had a fire engine visit us at the setting, great fun and now we are going to have hot chocolate outside heated on a real fire using a storm kettle

good to do a trip but just bear in mind the age of your children and that the fireman (mmm) may not be able to bring the level of the visit down to the age of the children,

Yes I would agree with this statement, last time we had the police in our setting they weren't the best at dealing with the children.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)