Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teaching Of Writing In Reception

Guest Cathryn1974

Guest Cathryn1974

Hello

I was just wondering how everyone else went about slotting in writing activities into their Reception classes and how they go about teaching it. We have writing going on all the time in our setting but we currently don't do any shared or guided writing. What does everyone else do? Any ideas or hints would be very much appreciated.

i was thinking one focused activity session per week where every child writes within a meaningful context e.g. a birthday card based ona book, shopping list etc. that is led by an adult. So we can move them on.

Thanks

Cathryn

Hi Cathryn,

each monday I take my reception children on the mini bus out and about. we take pics and have lots of hands on in forest, park, beach, lakes etc etc I use this to select fav pic and write about it. That is my focussed writing for week apart from child initiated etc etc role play etc etc

Hello

I was just wondering how everyone else went about slotting in writing activities into their Reception classes and how they go about teaching it. We have writing going on all the time in our setting but we currently don't do any shared or guided writing. What does everyone else do? Any ideas or hints would be very much appreciated.

i was thinking one focused activity session per week where every child writes within a meaningful context e.g. a birthday card based ona book, shopping list etc. that is led by an adult. So we can move them on.

Thanks

Cathryn

princess polly that sounds fantastic!

I do one guided writing a week within a context like you're suggesting, sometimes in role/drama. I have found it has really helped and the children take the skills taught into their child initated learning. I do include lots of speaking and listening too.

Well i did lots of different things for this. fOR Example we did a pirate topic. We had some class puppets that we use in our class. On a monday morning the pirates had kidnapped the puppets and left a letter. The children thought of all sorts of places the pirates could be. They wre also able to write to the puppets to askthem how they are what they were up to. The children loved this as they would eahc get an individual letter back. Also, we made some wanted posters to stick around the school. The children had lots of fun, and really enjoyed their writing.

When I have a writing focus for the week, I find that it takes about 3 days because I do it 1:1 with 30 children. Therefore I don't have a writing focus every week. I may do quick write in a phonics session or all write a label but focus writing sessions on a 1:1 basis I only do about once every 3 or 4 weeks otherwise we do nothing else.

Guest Cathryn1974
When I have a writing focus for the week, I find that it takes about 3 days because I do it 1:1 with 30 children. Therefore I don't have a writing focus every week. I may do quick write in a phonics session or all write a label but focus writing sessions on a 1:1 basis I only do about once every 3 or 4 weeks otherwise we do nothing else.

Thanks for that - that sounds like the kind of thing that would fit in with the way we work.

I teach letter formation when I introduce new sounds but concentrate on talk for writing using Big Talk

Hi Marion

What kinds of topics do you focus on in Talk for Writing? Any specific ones or do you just go with what the children are interested in that week? Is there a book that I can refer to ? Really want to get into Talk for Writing but a bit lacking in ideas!!

You could look at Talk the Big Talk or Storytelling into writing

In Big Talk we use pictures objects of Big Talk homework on lots of themes from - My best holiday ever - two nice things about my family -the food I hate most (children are encouraged to BIG IT UP - lie!)

You could look at Talk the Big Talk or Storytelling into writing

In Big Talk we use pictures objects of Big Talk homework on lots of themes from - My best holiday ever - two nice things about my family -the food I hate most (children are encouraged to BIG IT UP - lie!)

I intended to order Talk the Big Talk this week while I'm off school! Who is the author of Storytelling into writing? Thanks for your quick reply Marion!!

I am finding it hard to find these books. Have been on Amazon, can anyone help with more information as would like to order too.

Thanks.

Talk the Big Talk by Ros Wilson is available through Andrell Education-can order on the website.but for some reason it won't let me order so I am going to ring them-Tel number:01924862777

Story Telling into Wrtiting by Pie Corbett is published by Clown Publications- isbn number is

0-9553008-0-0

I have already got the Story telling book and it is really useful-my children love to do oral story telling!

Good Luck !

Have you registered with Andrell heidiho? I ordered my copy over Christmas and it arrived in under 24 hours - totally amazed!

Tried to register but for some strange reason it kept saying there was an error !! Never mind, I have now phoned and they are sending it out !!! Looking forward to reading it before I go back to school-I attended training by Alistair earlier this month and i was fantastic !!

Yes we did the training with Alistair as our school Inset in September and he was our inspiration to become a FSU.

Did you know he's a good Durham lad too....

Yes he said he was from Stanley area-not too far from me !! I'm from Chester-le-Street ! Not much of a North Eastern accent there now though!!

Been looking for severed fingers but not as gory as the ones he had-think I might get a few complaints from parents. Also need to find some star wars lasers that are not too expensive.I found him really inspiring-I bet he was great to work for! Do you know of any specific exercises for play dough gym , or do you just make them up as you go?

Sorry any to anyone else reading this-you must be wondering what the heck I'm talking about-all will be revealed if you go on one of the Big talk for Big Write courses-expensive but well worth it!

I just wing it really - music and playdough aerobics ....I know Alistair is a member of the forum (but Ros said she thinks he's away for half term) perhaps if he reads this he could give us some more ideas.

I'm keen to go on the "Wild Things" course not sure if I will be able as I'm now in Y2

I just wing it really - music and playdough aerobics ....I know Alistair is a member of the forum (but Ros said she thinks he's away for half term) perhaps if he reads this he could give us some more ideas.

I'm keen to go on the "Wild Things" course not sure if I will be able as I'm now in Y2

Thanks -I'm going to get my son to download some suitable music (my kids love JLS) and will just sort of make it up. Off to Metro Centre tomorrow to look for boxes for playdough from £ shop/ severed fingers/ light lasers/ wands-sadly no sofa!!!

I agree -the Wild Things course looks really good- don't think my head would let me go on it this year -money!! I will bear it in mind for next year though if I am still in FS! I was in Y2 for what seemed like forever and managed to get to Reception 2 years ago when the previous Rec teacher retired. It as been a massive learning curve for me but I have loved it. I have found the forum invaluable for info/ideas-the best £20 I spent in a year! We set up a Foundation Stage unit the year I moved and I got loads of useful info off this site.

A big thankyou to all those helpful people out there- it does get addictive though! Was in Canada last year with a group of teachers and I managed to access the internet in a bar-they caught me on the forum- and they all shouted 'STOP IT!'. How bad is that? Ha Ha!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)