Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Ideas For Children With No English

Hi all, Nearly half term!!

I am going to Burlin over half term on a study visit and have asked to prepare a lesson 'incase' they ask us to teach for a short time. It could be for any age from EY's through to Yr 6 and obviously language will be a barrier. Does anyone have any ideas for what I could do? Really struggling for ideas!!

Many thanks.

Signing in say Makaton. Then give english word, and ask for german word?

What about a pictorial treasure hunt?

Miming drama session?

Sorry not very creative, but all I can think of just now. I am sure that someone much more creative will come along soon with better ideas!!

Hi all, Nearly half term!!

I am going to Burlin over half term on a study visit and have asked to prepare a lesson 'incase' they ask us to teach for a short time. It could be for any age from EY's through to Yr 6 and obviously language will be a barrier. Does anyone have any ideas for what I could do? Really struggling for ideas!!

Many thanks.

Are you sure they'll have no English at all? It seems strange that they would suddenly shove you in front of a class who can't speak any English if you speak no German!

Perhaps some sort of practical lesson in science, although that would probably only work with the younger children as the vocabulary for older children would be more tricky. Maybe maths - since numbers look the same in Germany. Perhaps you could learn the numbers 1 to 10 before you go to help you out?

Sorry not many ideas, it's a tricky one!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)