Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Organising A Reception Class - Help!

Hi

I've finally plucked up the courage to write my 1st post - not been a member long and I need a little bit of help.

I've been teaching reception for 3 years now and we have always followed a v structured routine - too much numeracy and literacy and not enough coverage of the other areas of learning. We have recently been given the go ahead 2 change things around, finally! I was just wondering if any1 could give me some ideas on the organisation of a reception classroom/ planning, timetable etc. How many adult led activities do you do a week? If I have specific areas in the classroom do the same resources stay out all week or do they get enhanced as the week goes on depending on the children's interests?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou!

Hi

Not sure I will be of much help as our Reception classes are more structured than some! We plan teacher led activities for PSRN/CLL each morning and concentrate on the other areas of learning on an afternoon. The children come to us from very low starting points and this seems to help us raise standards. When not working at teacher led activities the children have access to all stationary areas, we put resources out at beginning of week, observe then plan how to enhance them as week goes on. Good luck with your organisation!

Hi

just thought I'd add what we do, have a class of 30 reception children and only a part time hlta.

After register and assembly I have a short input either linked to area of interest, number or story the children then have a selection of activities put out for them, whilst I do a teacher led activity with one group. Once children have completed their 'set' activity they can choose their own activity.

We have outside play time with rest of school, then children have milk and choose their own activity. I try to do observations during this time.

After lunch we usually have a whole class phonic session, then children can initiate their own activity again. We come back together to talk and discuss any problems.

We usually hear 12 children read individually a day and we gather for stories 3-4 times per day.

It may not be perfect but it works for us.

Regards

Ruth

In the reception class at my school they do a whole class carpet session of either literacy or PSRN first thing, then it's free choice but with adult led groups going on relating to the whole class session. After that it's assembly, playtime and phonics (whole school differentiated groups). After that it's back to free choice/adult led groups to continue from before playtime. Finally they finish with a short 10 minute session on the subject not covered at the beginning of the day - so if it was a PSRN morning they have a story and if it was a literacy morning they have 10 minutes mental maths.

After lunch they begin with a whole class session focussing on one of the other strands such as KUW or CD etc. then it's free choice with the adults doing the directed afternoon activities and/or observations.

It's not perfect either but doing either a PSRN or a CLL focus each morning rather than both has really opened up the time in the morning to spend extra time on those struggling or extend the learning of the higher ability, as well as giving more time for CI activties.

Thankyou every1 for sharing!

I've started setting up the areas in my classroom. Its just the adult directed activities that are worrying me a little as I have 26 chd - 1 of which has challenging behaviour and 1 which has learning difficulties and I don't have a full time T.A so it could b a bit difficult to get through 5 groups of chd in a morning session? But i'll try and if it doesn't work then i'll change it.

Thanx again!

We do a similar system. I have mixed Rec/Y1 and each morning we either focus on CLL or PSRN, and we have adult led and child initiated activities. I would plan to get through all 5 groups over 2 mornings and my TA the same, so that over the course of the week each child would have 2 focussed adult led CLL activities and the same for PSRN. Each child also has Guided Reading each week and we do Letters and Sounds and Mental Maths each day, plus one other CLL or PSRN input. In the afternoons I do a short input covering one of the other areas followed by CI activities, with myself or my TA observing and the other one of us leading an acitivity.

Have just read this back and it sounds v complicated, but seems to work for us!!

Mine sounds very much like Kariana. I have 31 children and it is a struggle to get through all 5 groups in the morning but just about manage it. Sometimes will get my TA to take 1 group along side me to get through them all if short on time or carry onto the afternoon for the final group.

Good luck with changing things. My school was very structured when I arrived but I changed things this year and it is so much better! It will be tough if you dont have a full time TA to get the child initated observations. I love using the child initiated time extend childrens needs at their individual level too.

K x

Mine sounds very much like Kariana. I have 31 children and it is a struggle to get through all 5 groups in the morning but just about manage it. Sometimes will get my TA to take 1 group along side me to get through them all if short on time or carry onto the afternoon for the final group.

Good luck with changing things. My school was very structured when I arrived but I changed things this year and it is so much better! It will be tough if you dont have a full time TA to get the child initated observations. I love using the child initiated time extend childrens needs at their individual level too.

K x

Thank you, i'm starting to feel a bit better about things now. Just hearing what other people do helps alot. I'm starting the new system after half term - looking forward to the change. May have to split myself in two though to get everything done!

Amy x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)