Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Profile Exemplification - Writing

We are getting mixed messages about our interpretation of Scale Point 3 Writing. We have seen some exemplifcation documents but would like your views on this point

~Ta~

Hi Polly, if we haven't welcomed you yet, then welcome to the forum, I presume you are in a reception class?

Are you talking about point 3, represents some sounds correctly in writing? If so, you might see a few words with a correct initial (or other)letter and the rest may be random letters and symbols. You wouldn't be expecting correctly spelled words for this point, that would be points 4 and 7.

That's how I see it anyway.

Are you talking about someone who maybe writes their own name, or Mum, say, but doesn't know what sounds the letters make / isn't using phonics to write these words but their knowledge of how to spell the word from what they remember it looks like? (Sorry if I've just repeated what you said, just trying to clarify it for myself!) What specific examples have you got?

From the EYFSP handbook 2008:

Scale point 3 exemplification:

The child’s attempts at writing words include some appropriate letters, usually in the initial position.

E.g. Following a trip to the zoo, Rezminder draws a picture of a gorilla and underneath writes the letter ‘g’.

Stephanie selects braille blocks to represent her name, including some which are appropriate.

Priya draws a detailed picture of a house. She then makes careful marks under the picture and tells the practitioner that she has written ‘This is my house’. Her colleague, who supports children learning English as an additional language, confirms that the caption contains elements of Punjabi script, some of which are correctly written.

It would also link with scale point 3 LSL exemplification:

The child hears some sounds and links them to specific letters, for example the letters in his or her name, and is able to recognise a few of them.

E.g.

A small group of children are suggesting all the objects they can think of beginning with the sound ‘d’ – door, dog, doll, drink. Suddenly Donna smiles and says ‘d’ for Donna.’

Karen spots a capital K on the cover of a big book. ‘Look, it’s the same as at the beginning of my name, it’s a ‘k’.’

Bailey is fishing for magnetic letters in the water tray. He finds the letter ‘m’ and says ‘mummy’.

Izzy is in the role play area making party invitations for her friends Rosie and Lawrence. After using non-standard marks for the invitations she writes ‘r’ for Rosie and ‘l’ for Lawrence on the envelopes.

Cx

From the EYFSP handbook 2008:

Scale point 3 exemplification:

The child’s attempts at writing words include some appropriate letters, usually in the initial position.

E.g. Following a trip to the zoo, Rezminder draws a picture of a gorilla and underneath writes the letter ‘g’.

Stephanie selects braille blocks to represent her name, including some which are appropriate.

Priya draws a detailed picture of a house. She then makes careful marks under the picture and tells the practitioner that she has written ‘This is my house’. Her colleague, who supports children learning English as an additional language, confirms that the caption contains elements of Punjabi script, some of which are correctly written.

It would also link with scale point 3 LSL exemplification:

The child hears some sounds and links them to specific letters, for example the letters in his or her name, and is able to recognise a few of them.

E.g.

A small group of children are suggesting all the objects they can think of beginning with the sound ‘d’ – door, dog, doll, drink. Suddenly Donna smiles and says ‘d’ for Donna.’

Karen spots a capital K on the cover of a big book. ‘Look, it’s the same as at the beginning of my name, it’s a ‘k’.’

Bailey is fishing for magnetic letters in the water tray. He finds the letter ‘m’ and says ‘mummy’.

Izzy is in the role play area making party invitations for her friends Rosie and Lawrence. After using non-standard marks for the invitations she writes ‘r’ for Rosie and ‘l’ for Lawrence on the envelopes.

Cx

Emmajess - you have described exactly what I have been told. To me it does not make sense unless some phonic knowledge is shown.

Others - you have obviously read the same information as me as that is my interpretation.

P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)