Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Terminology! Please Help Me

I know I know this but I've got all sorts of terms running round my head!

In EYFS there are 4 themes underpinned by 4 principles. This is followed by the 4 commitments. Now under these come a number of phrases such as in 1.3 Keeping Safe, one of them is Making Choices. My question is do these have a name??

I'm trying to explain something to my staff and I feel the less "thingys" and whatsits" there are the better!

Hi!

I would suggest you just refer to the cards by number.

I am assuming all staff have their own copy?? Are they still available (FREE!!) - they ought to have them, then. Or at least sufficient copies in setting.

I'm betting, once they see the cards, they will be hooked! Mine are soooo dog-eared! (me, staff and parents!)

Sue

Thanks Sue. They do all have their own copies and they do use them. I've overhauled the planning paperwork somewhat and it has become apparent that it isn't being used too well. Being generous I'm going with the idea that they need more guidance on how to, and ignoring the fact they might all just be on silent strike for some reason :o I was just wanting to make sure I wasn't causing more confusion by referring to something on the cards by another name when they are really called "xxxx"

Holly,

Very good luck - let us know how it goes!!

If you can get your practitioners using the cards in planning, assessment etc, that will be a big help! For you and them. Those cards are great! Then you can just refer by number! :o Hopefully.

Sue

At the moment I'd settle for them just planning something and referring to it as "that stuff you wanted me to do" :o Got a fun meeting coming up!

I know I know this but I've got all sorts of terms running round my head!

In EYFS there are 4 themes underpinned by 4 principles. This is followed by the 4 commitments. Now under these come a number of phrases such as in 1.3 Keeping Safe, one of them is Making Choices. My question is do these have a name??

I'm trying to explain something to my staff and I feel the less "thingys" and whatsits" there are the better!

Sorry Holly are you asking what the cards are called? Aren't they the Principles into Practice Cards. If your query has gone right over my head then forget this........it's late!! :o

Hi Sue I have to say that I have the cards as do my staff but if i am totally honest I haven't got the hang of how I can show I am using the cards. We review the cards but I could really do with some help on using them more effectivley.......

Skippy

Hi Holly. In the original LA briefings, the bits you are talking about were called '3 important aspects'. I know that this caused some confusion because the areas of learning are also broken down into aspects, so I don't think it was terminology widely used after the initial briefings.

Terminology aside, the commitments (and hence the cards) can be used to reflect on practice. Each card has some reflection questions, and you could record what you are doing well/what you could improve upon. This could all feed into your SEF, if you are doing one. I wouldn't tackle them all at once, Id pick out particular ones, so that you can focus on small steps at a time.

Thanks Mundia. I managed to get across what I wanted them to use I think and I've promised them I'll find somewhere for the big poster to be displayed so it is there for reference in the session. I want the staff to record which of these statements the observations they have done are supporting, (not sure that makes sense but I know what I mean) so that they can evidence their understanding of the whole of EYFS and not just the learning and development section which we have traditionally been focused on.

Thanks everyone for your input too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)