Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Would You Approached Mixed Fs, Yr1 And Yr2?

Hi

I have been asked to help a school that is struggling with planning and delivering the curriculum to a mixed reception, Yr1 and Yr2.

I don't have any experience of this, does anyone else?

Would you teach them all together for carpet times or have separate FS and KS1 carpet times.

Differentiation isn't a problem because we all do that anyway but would you teach them all the same topic?

OOOh guidance is needed! I need some idea myself before I can help them. EEEk!

Guest tinkerbell

I have a friend who teaches R/yr1/yr2 and she would have them altogether at different time of the day.She would also group them for different activities ,as you say differentiated groups can be across the ages (1 advantage of this mix!) eg phonics,group reading etc.

If you have a TA and an ICT room /library again you can teach smaller groups.

Sally Featherstone has a book with mixed aged planning and CD which might be useful and I think Lancashire had mixed aged plans but I can't find them when I have just done a search

Tinkerbell

I have a friend who teaches R/yr1/yr2 and she would have them altogether at different time of the day.

Thanks for reply.

Can you just clarify what you mean by altogether at different time of the day?

The whole class together for all carpet times? Each year group together at one point in day?

Guest tinkerbell

I think it must depend on the class,the ratios of each year group and their needs .

I teach r/yr1 I would have them all together to do something then send the reception off and keep the yr1 back to expand what we had talked about.Or sent the yr1 off to do task and work withthe reception or keep yr1 and a more able group of reception ...it all depends on the children.

Tinkerbell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)