Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Initiated Learning

I really hope someone will be able to clear my very muddled mind, I have confused myself as well as my colleagues by thinking, reading, analysing too much about CIL!!! :o

We have finally come up with a workable planning system which allows everyone to input individual child's interests, development needs, small amount of adult-led activities linking into profiles.... in a way we can all understand and work with!! :(:(

However, I also want to be able to record some areas of CIL but am struggling to get my head around what it is, explain it to others in a meaningful way! and I'm certain I should be able to!

I know it's more that just children grabbing the boxes of dinosaurs off the shelf because that's what they have chosen to play with.... but I'm just struggling with examples, summary explanation in real everyday terms.

Maybe I just need to sleep..... but as the kids are still up that's not an option yet :( :wacko: Can anyone help?

Thank you!! xDxD

The key at the top of my planning says

(CI): Child Initiated - Adult Support for an enabling environment, and sensitive interaction

(AG): Adult-guided, playful experiential activities

(AL): Adult-led structured and delivered by an adult to a child or group of children. It focuses on the direct teaching of skills and knowledge with a specific learning intention in mind

Green activities – activities planned in response to childrens needs/interests

Blue activities – activities planned to ensure a balance of learning opportunities

e.g. an art or craft activity and the snack bar have an adult rota'd to the area (AG) but we still want the children to develop independence using the areas

(CI) would be the small world area (train track, trains, extended with long strips of paper taped to the floor, non fiction train books, laminated tickets, images of trains and crayons) but I would still expect children to Scaffold learning when required.

and (AL) e.g. Circle time, large group story, rhythm and rhyme, dancing, singing, phase 1 letters and sounds whole group activities

hope this helps x Carla Booth

I really hope someone will be able to clear my very muddled mind, I have confused myself as well as my colleagues by thinking, reading, analysing too much about CIL!!! :o

We have finally come up with a workable planning system which allows everyone to input individual child's interests, development needs, small amount of adult-led activities linking into profiles.... in a way we can all understand and work with!! :(:(

However, I also want to be able to record some areas of CIL but am struggling to get my head around what it is, explain it to others in a meaningful way! and I'm certain I should be able to!

I know it's more that just children grabbing the boxes of dinosaurs off the shelf because that's what they have chosen to play with.... but I'm just struggling with examples, summary explanation in real everyday terms.

Maybe I just need to sleep..... but as the kids are still up that's not an option yet :( :wacko: Can anyone help?

Thank you!! xDxD

Hi

The way I see CIL is it is not adult led. Adults get down on the floor and join in with the children's play. The children lead the play. You can build on their CIL by questionning. There needs to be activities associated with those that you have previously modelled that the children may choose during CIL and that helps with 'Look, Listen and Note' observations.

Probably not helped you! But I hope it has.

Brownie x

Thank you!! xDxD

This link might help.

http://www.foundation-stage.info/newfsf/ar...Article_286.php

Brownie x

The key at the top of my planning says

(CI): Child Initiated - Adult Support for an enabling environment, and sensitive interaction

(AG): Adult-guided, playful experiential activities

(AL): Adult-led structured and delivered by an adult to a child or group of children. It focuses on the direct teaching of skills and knowledge with a specific learning intention in mind

Green activities – activities planned in response to childrens needs/interests

Blue activities – activities planned to ensure a balance of learning opportunities

e.g. an art or craft activity and the snack bar have an adult rota'd to the area (AG) but we still want the children to develop independence using the areas

(CI) would be the small world area (train track, trains, extended with long strips of paper taped to the floor, non fiction train books, laminated tickets, images of trains and crayons) but I would still expect children to Scaffold learning when required.

and (AL) e.g. Circle time, large group story, rhythm and rhyme, dancing, singing, phase 1 letters and sounds whole group activities

hope this helps x Carla Booth

"I would still expect children to Scaffold learning" SHOULD HAVE SAID "I would still expect ADULTS to Scaffold learning" obviously I need a sleep x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)