Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journeys...

Hi All,

We are looking to change our way of profiling our children, i'm in a large setting with 52 nursery and 30 reception so it has to be managable!! (is anything ever?!)

I just wondered if any of you lovely people had any Learning Journey formats that you use that work for you and you would like to share with us? As far as i'm aware my LEA have not come up with any templates or suggestions but I know others have.

Thanks in advance,

Q

Edited by queline

Mine each have a ringbinder folder which has a summary of comments from previous settings at the front, then most of their 'work' organised chronologically (as opposed to by area of learning) in it. Some is adult led/directed and some is child initiated (some even child initiated that they ask to be put in the special folder!) I annotate the backs so I know what's what AD and CI-wise. I also do photo sheets - 6 photos per A4 page with comments and date explaning the learning that was taking place. These are only printed once a sheet is full, so appear intermittently through the learning journey. Also include parents' evening summary sheets.

HOWEVER.... I have a small class of 18 (we are a small school) so this may not be manageable for you. Thought I would share anyway though!

I have a scrap book for each child which sticky labels get stuck into as well as longer obs sheets and some independent work. I have a large class of 31 and it does take me a long time but I also get my TA to help stick them in.

Ours have cardboard covers and aree held together with treasure tags. We have a brief introduction to EYFS and the child's 'settling in' sheet. Observations, photographs and 'work' examples are then added in chronological order with each being referenced to one or more 'development matters' statements.

We are trying to plan in time for the keypeople to spend with their keychildren during the session, when the children themselves can help stick in the items. Our reason for this is that it gives the children ownership of the journal and helps them to recognise the passage of time and their own learning.

Gruffalo2 :o

Ours have cardboard covers and aree held together with treasure tags. We have a brief introduction to EYFS and the child's 'settling in' sheet. Observations, photographs and 'work' examples are then added in chronological order with each being referenced to one or more 'development matters' statements.

We are trying to plan in time for the keypeople to spend with their keychildren during the session, when the children themselves can help stick in the items. Our reason for this is that it gives the children ownership of the journal and helps them to recognise the passage of time and their own learning.

Gruffalo2 :o

we tell our providers to put family info in the front then childrens creations/obs/photos etc next - then 6 weekly review sheet to assess where the child is to put info into progress matters.

as long as info is there you can organise how best suits your setting :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we have 34 children and 16 per session. The profile is in a plastic folder with the child's picture on the front. The children and parent makes an All about me page with pictures of family, favourate things etc. the copies of the profile are next then we have a parents comment sheet. pieces of work and photos are at the back. parents are able to share this with other settings that the child attends. I find it difficult as some children only attend our session for one term and only one session but we do our best to provide evidence for them. I think the photos are the best evidence. :o

i use an a4 exercise book, which I have divided into the 6 areas. I have stuck in the development matters for where the child is at and the ELGs. I then stick in all my observations and any independent bits the children chose to give me. They also have a folder for their 'work' and a little exercise book they use in groups.

It works - though is very time consuming sticking in all the stickers - but that just seems to be EYFS - hours spent sticking in stickers - its the only time I wish I was a junior teacher as marking must be better than matching stickers to areas and then sticking them in?!!

Hi we have 34 children and 16 per session. The profile is in a plastic folder with the child's picture on the front. The children and parent makes an All about me page with pictures of family, favourate things etc. the copies of the profile are next then we have a parents comment sheet. pieces of work and photos are at the back. parents are able to share this with other settings that the child attends. I find it difficult as some children only attend our session for one term and only one session but we do our best to provide evidence for them. I think the photos are the best evidence. :o

I love the idea of the parents and child making an all about me sheet. It must make a lovely introduction to the learning journey. Think I'll have to borrow that idea!

Do you highlight the development matters for each child? And how often do you do this? I was thinking of doing this, especially at the beginning to assess where children are when they first come into reception. Is this what others are doing? KST

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)