Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bird Feeders

I would like to make some bird feeders with my nursery children, but all the receipes I have found involve hot fat, which is not a good idea!!!!

Does anyone know of another way of making them?

Thanks,

Sally

Hi we have made it just a couple of weeks ago - you dont have to melt it down just put your lard out night before so its at room temp and the children will easily be able to use their hands to mush the seed into the lard as its very malliable and tactile - put it in a hot place for night before or few hours before use and it will be fine for job . Dizz

our yr 1/2 moulded the fat but the smell made them heave and they refused to do it!

We melted our fat in the school kitchen and then outswide we mixed it with rice porriage and seeds.. explaining it was very hot... our children were fine.. what age are yours?

we then decorated pine cones and have since had lots of bird visitors!

x

we also made holes in peanuts and the children threaded them on string to hang.. maybe some of your older more abled nursery could do this? x

We have made the lard fat balls and they have been lapped up by the wild birds in our garden. We chopped the lard into small pieces, and in a large mixing bowl put some good quality wild bird mix, raisins, porridge oats and grated cheese. The children aged 3-4 have loved making the little cakes which we then put into the fridge over night and put into our bird feeders.

You could also get the children threading pop corn. We have just made pop corn although more of the pop corn was eaten by the children rather than them threading it!

We made a recipe similar to Panders. I just typed in bird cake in the internet. We used lard that had been out of the fridge for a while and the children just squashed it between their fingers. We used polystyrene cups to put them in a refrigerated them so they set well. Just make sure you pull the string through and hold it while the children poke the mixture into the cups ie the string comes stays in the middle and therefore will not disintegrate when removing the cup.

Do birds like popcorn? We have a pop corn making machine the children love. How do you thread the popcorn, with a large needle?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)