Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Builders

One of the areas in the classroom that the children like a lot is the Construction Area and, taking advantage of the topic of Community Helpers, I wanted to prepare the topic of Builders/Construction Workers or Carpenters.... but I hardly have found anything in the internet that is useful for developing the topic in the 6 areas of learning. Surely enough the children are crazy about Bob the Builder and I can use that for ICT, and the helmets and tools for the Role-Play and Construction areas. We don't have many appropriate materials. I am slowly trying to get resources. Any ideas?

Any building work going on around or near you that you could take the children to have a look at (from a distance :o !)? Any builder parents or friends who might be prepared to talk to the chldren, offer tips etc ? Any help??

Will carry on thinking here

Sue :)

How about get some blocks (wooden ) ,or something else to represent bricks and add them to sand. children could 'build' houses or other build- structures. From there they can explore sand or even some other building material, use different building tools, make pattern in the sand, you could count the bricks, even use different shapes.

You probably got some books about building. You could create office with telephone,paper,pencils, note books, etc....

In one off editions off Nursery world was lots ideas about building with some posters to, if I find it I will let you know about more but this is all I can think about at the moment.

Good luck and let us know how did it went

You could collect shoe boxes for big wall building (or photocopy boxes if you are in a school).

Can the children make "bricks" from clay or salt dough?

Oh, I forgot to share that the Maintenance Man is a great carpenter and two years ago our Reception pupils visited his room. He explained the different tools he uses for his work. Then he let them try these, under his supervision. They were so excited! The door of his room has the painting of ("_____ the Builder"), as Bob the Builder. This year we will do the same :) .

I just remember our children were (with our help) building castle from boxes and tubes(kitchen rolls). It looked lovely after they painted it in the end with different shades of grey. Hope it help

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)