Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Poor Balance Skills

bubblejack

I have recently moved my pre-school to different pre-school premises,so I have had 2 groups of children to settle together. The first term was spent focusing on P.S.E. This term we have been formally observing our new children and looking at their strengths and weaknesses. I have a rising 5 who has difficulty hopping, standing on one leg, climbing over the A-Frame and walking on the balance beam. I mention this to his mum who agreed that he does have difficulties climbing at the park.I thought of getting a wobble board and doing some simple brain-gym exercises to help does anyone have any ideas please?

Is there any reason for the poor balancing skills? We have a child with cerebal palsy at the moment and thats something she suffers from. I also read a lot about dyspraxia a couple of years ago which also includes poor balance. I dont suppose there will be any harm in trying brain gym and other activiites to help but I'd want to know if there was an underlying problem too. :D:D

Yes, I think dyspraxia should be checked out. What are the child's organisational skills like? My son has dyspraxia and it made things a lot easier when we had him diagonosed.

The Dyscovery centre in Cardiff www.dyscovery.co.uk has lots of information.

thanks lucyd

Yes I'm thinking Dyspraxia too. I sent for a video from DDAT which I received in a few days. On watching this I can see he has many characteristics of this. His mum did go and see the H.V. as soon as I mentioned this and on speaking to the H.V today they are waiting to see if I think there is a need to take it further.!!!!!

Both the mum and the H.V seem to be of the opinion to wait and see . I cannot do anything without parental permission but I can try and help him whilst they" wait and see".The child now realises he cannot do certain things and I can see getting disheartened.I have only known him for 4 months but he has also attended a nursery since he was a toddler and they have not mentioned anything about this to his mum but I have asked his mum to ask the nursery to show her any developemental records that they have on him.Before his pre-school joined mine children were not formally observed neither were parents told if their child had behavioral/developmental problems. I often thought that doing written observations were a waste of time but now I can see all the benefits of doing this from the time they join us.

I had a child last year that had difficulty with her gross motor skills and find some fine motor more challenging.

We implemented a group of children that all needed a little extra help in developing the motor skills and my TA took the children for 10 - 15 minutes 3 times a week. The did activities such as using tweezers to pick up and move objects, using mark making equipment to make lines and practise their names aet. Pegs to peg up things on a line etc. The ay also did gross motor activites such as walking heel toe along a straight line, playing games such as kicking a ball to each other, jumping up and down lillypads drawn on the floor, going into our playground and using the adventure playground.

We saw a real difference over the two terms and the children are more confident in their own abilities now. Part of the problem for the little girl was confidence and part of it was muscule development- Her mum did similar activities with her at home and took her to the park to encourage her to climb and develop the muscule control.

This was a reception class and the child concerned was a summer born child.

Might give you a few ideas :o

L

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)