Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

C5 K&u 14

Just can't get my head round this:

the range of activities and intervention strategies for maximising the potential of learning oportunities which arise in the daily routine to help children express, discuss, control their feeling andto develop socially and emotionally - Y3 children and pre-school? What evidence can I give? Help!

Sue,

Think about what you do if there is conflict between two children (and how often this arises! :o ). At what stage would you step in and how would you support the children in resolving a dispute? It's really important for us to help the children see things from someone else's point of view and give them strategies for dealing with conflict. Obviously the way that you go about this would depend on the age of the child. Sometimes you may decide to read a particular book to illustrate a point later on or use puppets/soft toys to enact a scenario and ask the children what the toys should do. Hope this helps a little. :)

Hi Sue

What are we like? First day of the half term and we are on a sight to do with work! Thats dedication eh?

I recently went on a K&U course and they said to just take everything in the statements and turn it into where the children are. I.e just getting their opinions on things they are familiar with first like music they like and programmes they watch. Then give them some experiences they might not like as much, loud(ish) pulsating music or rap were some examples they suggested.

Also food tasting adding things like marmite and onions (getting permission first of course in this politically correct day and all that). Children faces alone are the evidnece that you need (digi cam can capture this). Then you could see if they can tell you why they dont like things, much easier for preschoolers than why they do like something.

This can be done with lots of things, from P.E exercises that they find hard to looking through magazaines and catalogues for things they like and dont like.

The lecturers said that these are the things the children have first opinions on so that is where we should go from. Concrete feelings towards inanimate objects can be controlled by the child as they cant argue back and there is no wrong answer as each is personal to the child.

We found this helped us back in class and then are slowly introducing puppets for conflict resolution but this is obviously much more of a challenge for our egocentric (and rightly so) age phase.

Hope this helps a little

TF :D

Thanks everyone - just gone midnight was a bit late to post but I'd been looking at it for a while! 9am this morning - it looked better, hubby disected the statement and I appear to have got it right by your replies! Have mentioned stories, puppets, PE, PSHE, roleplay, acting, etc! Thanks! Want to get this unit all but finished by Monday!

Just a quickie though - how can you use digicam in your evidence -cos you can't include photos of children?

Hi Sue

Re: photos, thats not what weve been advised by our Early Years advisors from the LEA, never heard that before. The only time we encounter restrictions are with postings on the school website.

I guess it might depend on who the evidence is for? Is your for your setting or external moderators maybe? We have photos in albums and on walls and Ive never been told off for them. Maybe its a policy where you work but I would question that personally as its such a time saver and not a risk if monitored carefully.

I have loads of photos ranging from cooking to tasting (facial expressions) and drama (speaking to an audience) etc

Our Early years team have seen them and think they are great forms, easy, fast and require minimal annotating. Anything to save on paperwork is great by me!

Hope that helps

TF :o

Yes - external moderators. The info was - no photos of children in our evidence. I can photo displays etc but can't have any children in them! Thanks anyway.

This is in accordance with instructions I received from CACHE via the PLA, for whom I have assessed. It's OK to show photos to the Assessor, who can then note them as seen and accepted in their Visit Observations.

Sue :D

Yep we were externally moderated for K & U last year and photos were fine. They really liked the range of experiences that they showed. Guess you cant if they said not to but after its over might be worth asking them why that was? May help make future moderations easier. Oh well we can wish!

:o

Hi -

Going back to the conflict resolution and expression of feelings, you might find this product review we posted recently useful.

I've been told I made the summary sound like it was focussed too strongly around persona dolls, which is apparently not the case, so I'll be changing that very very soon! :o

But the product manufacturer's website (there's a link to it in the review) has some interesting transcripts and min-articles on conflict resolution, which you might find useful! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)