Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Are They Getting From It?

In all the wet weather this week our children have absolutely loved being out in the rain. They have loved listening to the rain on their umberellas and making boats to sail in puddles. Yesterday they were adding powder paint to puddles to see the effect., My concern is these activites they will only do if an adult is working with them. The others just enjoy running, jumping and kicking in puddles etc.. My concern is that whilst they are having a great time and lots of fun im not sure what else they are getting out of / learning from their play outdoors.

Any help/suggestions would be gratefully received

Lola

Please .please dont shoot me down but be delighted with the experience they are having and you are giving them - enjoyment, joy, laughter - having a good time , having a memorable experience- fab !

hi Lola

What about physical activity (Gross motor skills )while playing outdoors they have the opportunity to practice their running and jumping skills. They are learning that physical excercise is good fun , sociable and good for their bodies!

I think you could probably look through the EYFS criteria and link sooooo many areas of learning with what you have observed.....brilliant purposeful, fun, fun, fun!

Do a bit of retrospective documenting? Once you start reflecting you will see it all come together... :oxD:(

Please don't worry, this is all part of their own investigation and exploration of water and the rain, plus they're having fun which is what life should be all about at that age! Don't forget they're only young!

Also you may find that next time it rains they'll first immerse themselves again in this type of kicking and jumping play but eventually some of them may calm down long enough to have a go at repeating some of the activities you've done with them this time. If you make the same resources available next time it rains they will want to go and explore them for themselves as the activity will be familiar.

Also if you have any plastic boats that you use in the water tray indoors normally perhaps you could encourage them to take these outside to sail in the puddles if they want to, since this is something they could repeat independently next time. If you don't have any I'm sure you could get them cheap in pound shops. Why not get some plastic bath ducks too whilst you're at it! They were my favourite bath toys when I was younger and now I look back it would have been so much fun to take them outside and sail a family of plastic ducks on a puddle - just like a mini duck pond!

Like others have said though you really don't need to worry if they do none of these things and just mess about with the puddles. They're children, let them enjoy life whilst they still take childish delight in playing in puddles and getting wet!

Edited by Guest

oh i'd never shoot any of you down!!!! ha ha.

Thank you for all of your comments. I agree i love to see children having the enjoyment etc.. think i just need to relax and realise that this in itself can be enough.

Thank you xx

Relax is the answer Lola - some of my staff have taken a while to do it but we are getting there now :( We are constantly getting comments about what the children are getting and now I just quote the Bible sorry EYFS it often has all the answers.

Allowing our children to be children is wonderful, parents make them grow up far too quickly, we can see this in everyday sessions.

Enjoy, be a child yourself because I am guessing you wouldn't be in this job for the HUGE wage packet :oxD

Sue

You can justify it as the first stage of learning, as with anything the children do they firstly explore the possibilities, and that is what they are doing, joyfully and with a high level of motivation, and sharing a fun experience. I bet when they are at home their mums keep them in when it is raining, and I doubt that many of them have the opportunity to splash about in puddles. Now where are my wellies? :o

I agree entirely with all of the comments above but if you are really looking to label what the children were doing...... they were surely using their senses, their listening skills........... how about physical skills putting on raincoats and wellies..... putting up umbrellas...............

Your children are lucky to have been "allowed" outside in the rain..................

I bet many children during this wet weather have been inside ALL the time!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)