Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Worker System In Reception Classes

I work in a small village school and we have 16 children in reception and two staff. I am struggling with having to implement and explain to parents about key workers. My TA and I have a group each for planning and I think of this as our home or key worker groups but when I explain this to parents I feel I have to say that I am responsible for all the children and also that both of us should observe all the children. I can't find anything meaningful in the idea of each of us being a 'key worker'. Does anyone else have this problem and have you come up with anything? Anne

In the EYFS it is specifically a key person, not a key worker. There is in depth guidance on the nature of key person in reception classes online in the EYFS guidance which is useful as well as this:

http://www.cumbriagridforlearning.org.uk/g.../key+worker.pdf

In a reception class the teacher can be the key person for the group (given that with ratios they might be the ONLY person with the group). Realistically as the teacher you are responsible for what happens in the room by definition of your pay and conditions of service so you are really responsible for all the children. Everyone observing is important in relation to EYFSP and getting a wide range of adults who work with children to contribute.

Cx

Edited by catma

Hi Anne,

We have had a similar struggle in my school. What we have done is split the class in half, half class have me as their key person and other half have my TA. I explained to the children about the groups and that it was a time to talk to their group, share stories and listen to each other.

The first time we did this they all chose a name for their group (ours are the stars and the pigeons!)

We then sent a letter home to parents saying that to support their childs PSE development we would be having key groups and in these we would have circle times, stories and show and tell a few times a week. We also said that it would help the children feel a sense of belonging and support. We were careful to make it clear that these groups were to support their children during their first yr at school and that overall responsibility for the class will always be the role of the teacher.

Hope that helps!

• 5 weeks later...

I too am trying things of more ways to make key workers more meaningful, we all have childen whose profile and assesment and obs and all that side of things in place but does anyone have any other ideas of thngs we can do to make this explicit x plz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)