Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition To Primary School

would any reception teacher be intersted in filling in a questionnaire

i am in the process of collecting data for my enquiry for my ba honours degree in childhood studies

please help as i would like to hear how you feel during the transition process for four year olds

this is my first post

Welcome to the Forum, bumblbee! Congratulations on making your first post - hope its the first of many.

Transitions is an interesting area of study - would be keen to know more about your research project. I'm going to move this into a different forum where you might get more takers!

Maz

Welcome to the Forum, bumblbee! Congratulations on making your first post - hope its the first of many.

Transitions is an interesting area of study - would be keen to know more about your research project. I'm going to move this into a different forum where you might get more takers!

Maz

hi Maz

thanks for being my first reply

i am interested in teachers, parents, key-persons and of couse most importantly childrens views on transition to primary school.

research shows pressures of formal learning beginning too soon, adult:child ratios 1:15 in a reception class 1:8 in a nursery setting, how summer born four year olds cope with going to school, parents expectations are they aware of eyfs continuity from nursery to reception classetc.

Hi and welcome bumblbee.

Unfortunately the statutory ratio for children in a reception class is 1 :30. Good practice would allow 1: 15 or better. Thats the one real disadvantage of EYFS, it did not improve ratios for teachers or children in school.

i am interested in teachers, parents, key-persons and of couse most importantly childrens views on transition to primary school.

So would you be interested in getting pre-school practitioners to fill out a questionnaire too? Sounds like an interesting project - lots to get your teeth into!

How will you be getting the children's views?

Maz

yes i would ( just putting it together)

i will getting the children's views

by observations of an activity : reading a story about going to school, then open up a discussion

plus i will be doing a semi-structered interview with the children who left nursery in september asking q. such as what is different about going to schhol, what things they like to do at school etc

wow

how is the key-person system managed

Hi, I am working as a Foundation Stage Practitioner in a mixed FS/yr 1 class and would be happy to try and answer any of your questions. I have responsibility for our 11 FS children at the moment, the teacher hasn't really taken to the EYFS and as she's retiring in 2 years, she has no desire to keep up with it so I've taken on the planning, observing,assessment, learning journeys, trying to provide an interesting and well resourced learning environment and also trying to ensure they get their Child initiated time - hmmmm still battling that one!

I consider myself their Key worker, as I'm with them and supporting them and their learning, but I'm aware that the parents only see me as an 'assistant' and the teacher as the person who is 'teaching' their child........if only they knew!

Maisie

but I'm aware that the parents only see me as an 'assistant' and the teacher as the person who is 'teaching' their child........if only they knew!

Maisie

that is a really interesting perspective on how you feel ,it must be demoralising!

when reading research on parents views they felt they did not have the same relationship with their keyperson at nursery as they now had at primary school

who do parents see as first point of contact in the morning and afternoon

how do the younger four year olds cope

thanks Maisie for your reply

Hi I am a nursery practitioner but was going to pass your questionnaire to our reception teacher.......... however I can't open it!!!!

So hence I can't copy it. Sorry.

hi ,

sorry you couldn't open it it seems to work okey from here when i open it up on the fsf site so not sure what is wrong

bumblbee

Edited by bumblbee

sorry you couldn't open it it seems to work okey from here when i open it up on the fsf site so not sure what is wrong

Its because you've saved it in the newer version of Word - here it is saved in a version that most people will be able to open!

Maz

Questionnaire_to_reception_teachers.doc

Its because you've saved it in the newer version of Word - here it is saved in a version that most people will be able to open!

Maz

thanks Maz for your help

i am useless when it comes to computers

still learning new things everyday

bumblbee

Hi Bumblebee,

i have downloaded your questionnaire and will try to complete it at the weekend. I teach in a Reception Class and our ratio is 1 teacher to 30 children although I have the equivalent of a full time Teaching assistant I have 2 chidlren with Diabetes. Neither is well controlled due to recent diagnosis and their young age so the TA is often out of the room with the 2 children.

Will try to complete at the weekend and then will return it to you

Nicky Sussex :oxD

Hi Bumblebee,

i have downloaded your questionnaire and will try to complete it at the weekend. I teach in a Reception Class and our ratio is 1 teacher to 30 children although I have the equivalent of a full time Teaching assistant I have 2 chidlren with Diabetes. Neither is well controlled due to recent diagnosis and their young age so the TA is often out of the room with the 2 children.

Will try to complete at the weekend and then will return it to you

Nicky Sussex :oxD

thankyou

i really do admire you all you really do have it tough in reception

very glad we have a ratio of 1:8 so i dont think i should moan anymore

still cant wait to be a teacher though

best wishes

bumblbee

• 2 weeks later...