Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ops Manager Job

Just before Christmas I had an interview for an Ops Manager role; I received an email today saying I was unsuccessful, I emailed straight back and asked for feedback. I'm still waiting. I have also had interviews for the same positions with big chains; both of whom appeared very keen on me at interview, even to the point of saying I would be an asset to their teams, yet I never heard from either of those 2 chains again either, despite emailing and leaving voicemails. I know I have the qualifications and experience (10 years management experience, BA in nursery management from May, FD in Management of a Childcare Provision, NVQ4 EYCE (management), DPP, D32/D33) otherwise I wouldn't be getting the interview, however I now realise that I must be awful when it comes to interviews, even though I feel they go well!!!

As you can imagine I feel quite despondent now and slightly annoyed; is it usual for big chains to ignore those they don't want??

Anyway just wanted to rant; I know I could do the job, I just need to be given the chance!! Though I guess I should count myself lucky as I do have a job, which pays enough to pay the bills and I do enjoy it - most of the time!!

Rant over :o

Well I hope you feel better for the rant, but really these people are treating you pretty shabbily, I think. I'm not sure how many people they interviewed but if a candidate asked me for feedback about why they didn't get a job, I would feel obliged to have a conversation with them, even though it might be a bit awkward. Perhaps you need to be a bit patient - it is entirely possible that the person emailing you made it their last job of the day before leaving the office. Hopefully they'll email back soon with some constructive feedback for you.

I have never applied for a job with a chain before so I really can't comment on whether they treat all their applicants the same - but I just wanted to say that they were obviously not worthy of you and you had a narrow escape there! Keep your chin up because I'm sure the right job is out there for you!

Maz

Thank you for the kind words and words of advice Maz, they are very much appreciated. I guess I'm just disappointed in myself!! And frustrated at not being given the chance!! Still I'm a big believer in what's meant to be so I guess I just sit back and wait and in the meantime work even harder at the job I now have!

Once again many thanks!!

I often think jobs will go internally in particular in chains of settings but they should give feedback if requested. I would always try internally first before going outside to give promotion opportunities. Perhaps you were so good they dont know what to say but you can usually find something to improve on

Hi Janny -

I think the others have pretty much covered things, apart from the suggestion that you should try not to take the fact that you didn't get the job as a rejection. In the past I have had to interview people for jobs and occasionally you find yourself with one vacancy and two ideal people - and there's really no winning option. I've dearly wanted to offer both the job but had to pick one (more or less out of a hat).

In these circumstances it's actually very hard to offer feedback. One person who felt that he had performed very well and was very keen on the job called up and asked for feedback. When he asked what he could have done better I had to say - well, nothing. You did a great interview and were well qualified.

It's quite possible that you fitted into this scenario. If they left it so long before letting you know it's also possible that they wanted to ensure that your competitor accepted the job before letting you go.

One more thing - while expressing disappointment it's also a good thing to part on constructive terms with your interviewers. I was in the happy position of finding a colleague who was interviewing for a similar job a few days later. I strongly recommended my interviewee to him, who was re-interviewed and offered the job! :o

Thank you all for your kind replies; they all make sense and I guess I just reacted!!!

On a positive note I have just had my Performance Review and whilst I didn't say I'd been looking for more senior jobs I did say that I would be looking to move on as with my experience and qualifications I didn't want to be a Manager all of my life as I felt I had plenty to offer others. My boss has just strongly hinted that there is promotion in the not too distant future for me. Feel much better now and maybe things do happen for a reason!!!