Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Medium Term Planning/toy Access For Accreditation

Hi everyone, i recently became accredited and was the one of 2 in our area to start it off, we have had a few glitches regarding planning and how children know what toys/resourses they have access to that are not out!!!

Could anyone share any ideas on what medium term planning you do for children who get NEG and also how do you help the children know what resources you have that you cant have out???

Most of my daily toys which every child can play with are stored in the ikea units, i previously used a photo book to show my other items but they want more than this, they suggested that we need the children to be able to have a choice of at least 3 things covering every area available for them to choose from!!!!

I thought of a hanging pocket display but the children wont be able to reach the top as it would need to go on a door :o

Help anyone please :)

Hi, we have made a choices board. It's a large blue board which has velcro dots on it. Then in the summer when we had our sort out I took photos of every resource in our setting. The children can then look through these and choose their favourites.

That's the theory, getting staff to remember to do it is the tricky bit!

Hi

When I worked as a CM i did take pictures of every resource/toy I had and put the photos in a large scrap book that was left out all the time so children could choose from it.I also had some continuous provison (in the corner of my dining room!)Writing corner with mark making equipment-pens,crayons,chalk etc. I also had a small table out all the time with glue and collage resources on. My dining room overlooked our patio and I use to put water play and sand play in front of window so that children knew it was available. Obviously not ideal but Ofsted commented it was a good idea and they realise that it is not always practical to have all resources out in the home environment as in a CC or nursery!

Hello.

I have been an Accredited Childminder for three years now. I keep all of my toys in a shed outside and bring in a selection of toys every day. If a child wants something specific then I will get this out. I have a book of photographs of all of my toys available and the children can choose from this.

Ofsted were fine with this at my last inspection.

I wondered who has said that what you are doing is not enough. Also the children should all be treated the same whether they are receiving nursery funding or not. I observe, assess and plan for all of the children in EYFS regardless of whether they are receiving their funding through me or another setting.

My medium term planning is based on the seasons such as at the moment we are doing activities linked to winter, such as snowflakes and snowmen. At the end of the month we will be concentrating on Chinese New Year. A good place to look for ideas is this site. I get good ideas of books to read and activities. Click onto resources and then topic support. I then do a weekly planning sheet on which I include any next steps I have identified. I only plan one or two adult initiated activities a week and then write on my planning sheet what we have actually done. My planning sheet is divided into each area of development.

Thanks for all your replies.

Board- i suggested this but they dont want photos :)

It is the early years advisor who is bringing in all the changes, i have to do at least one adult led activity a day!!!

I keep all of my toys in a shed outside and bring in a selection of toys every day. If a child wants something specific then I will get this out. I have a book of photographs of all of my toys available and the children can choose from this.

Ofsted were fine with this at my last inspection.

this is what i do and ofsted graded my setting O and even said if i had of been through the process i would not have any majoy changes :/

Think i am going to have to go back to them and see wht they can come up with :)

I was graded outstanding in every aspect including nursery education, so Ofsted obviously liked what I do.

EYFS is all about children's learning through their own interests. I find that when I do adult initiated activities the children dont always want to do the activity. It is worth remembering that going out to toddler groups or the library is adult initiated.

Also, since I have been offering Nursery Funded places I havent had anyone telling me how to go about it. I have had a mentor teacher visit me once. I was given a pack of paperwork by my childminding co-ordinator and left to get on with it.

Parents choose a childminder because they want home based childcare. My home looks like a home not a nursery. I dont have lots of storage units in my lounge as I like to put the toys away at the end of the day.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)