Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Six Areas Of Learning In The Classroom

Hi everyone! having a major panic as my headteacher wants me to completely re-aarange everything in eyfs after a SIP visit. I am new to eyfs and so have NO experience in Reception at all. How do you organise the 6 areas of learning in the class room? What sort of activities need to be available? How many children do you work with over a day and how many areas? Does anyone have any examples of planning which they could let me look at so that I might get some idea of what is expected?

many thanks

kazdav1

Edited by Guest

Hi everyone! having a major panic as my headtecaher wants me to completely reaarange everything in eyfs after a SIP visit. I am new to eyfs and so have NO experience in Reception at all. How do you organise the 6 areas of learning in the class room? What sort of activities need to be available? How may childfen do you work with over a day and how many areas? Does anyone have any examples of planning which they could let me look at so that I might get some idea of what is expected?

many thanks

kazdav1

I work in a pack away preschool not reception but my first thing to say is DONT PANIC!

we set our hall our in zones but not specific for each area of development because there is so much cross over between the development areas

our areas are -

1) sand and water - messy creative area

2) book corner with mark making and laptop/ict props

3) carpet area for construction toys and small world

4) Discovery table with various items to explore - maths /construction table

5) physical play

6) role play corner

if you look in the forums resources library for "continous provision planning sheets" (there are a few different ones to look at,) they will give you some ideas of what areas people are putting out, what things they are are putting in each area and how they are implimenting the EYFS in those areas

I would also try different layouts in your class you will soon find that some activities are beter in one corner of the room than another its all to do with lighting heating and general ambience of the class room

have fun with your class room

Edited by Alison

Looking in the Resource Library is a very good idea. I also think it would be a good idea to contact your EYAT and ask if you can go and look at one or two other exemplar settings to see how they organise their classrooms, and to talk to the staff involved as well about what they do. Every setting is different and, as Alison says, the physical environment you have dictates what you can do and where. Then you may need then to look at your resources and see where the gaps are. I would also ask you HT to let you go on some training to support you in your role.

Continuous provision is what you have all the time, and then what you add to it is what we mean by enhancements. You may add items according to children's interests, or to support your focus activities, giving the children an opportunity to try out things for themselves.

Hi everyone! having a major panic as my headteacher wants me to completely re-aarange everything in eyfs after a SIP visit. I am new to eyfs and so have NO experience in Reception at all. How do you organise the 6 areas of learning in the class room? What sort of activities need to be available? How many children do you work with over a day and how many areas? Does anyone have any examples of planning which they could let me look at so that I might get some idea of what is expected?

many thanks

kazdav1

Good luck kazdav1 and welcome to the lovely world of the Foundation Stage curriculum. As JacquieL as said could you ask for a morning to go and visit another school. Seeing a class set up will give you lots of ideas and they may even be happy to share planning. Also talk to Year 1 teachers as they will have been providing FS curriculum at beginning of year as many children will have still been working in it.

Google letters and sounds for phonics planning..it is fab and very easy to follow.

Redbase :o

PS Hi Jacquie L..are you doing topic on Polar bears like me and hence the polar bear picture??

Edited by redbase

Hi Redbase

I just like Polar Bears so have always used one as my Avatar. I am pleased to see that mine has company now :o They'll all be gone soon if the climate change predictions are correct.

I have done some lovely work around 'The Bear' by Raymond Briggs in the past looking at authors, illustrators and linking it with winter and snow. A gorgeous book.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)