Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Circle Time Ideas Getting Children To Speak

Just wondered if anyone has any good ideas for circle times activities to encourage less reluctant children speak,

I have a lovely nursery, organised in small areas to promote personal social, small carpet groups for teaching but still have two children who are very shy and wont speak. I guess it is small steps, just wondered if anyone has any nice ideas

It would probably help them to whisper to a staff member or a puppet who speaks on their behalf. It's one of those things you can't really accelerate. They'll speak in a group when they're good and ready and not before.

Just make sure that when they do it they are listened to and their comment is valued but without an enormous fuss. If it's a rewarding experience they'll try it again sooner. Just a 'Thank you for sharing that with us, Xxxxxx. I liked what you said because......' can be a great confidence booster.

It's a hard one when you feel that their voice isn't being heard. I think the solution is to find other ways to hear it.

I do like the sound of your nursery, very enabling :o

In my experience these children will often sing before they will speak in a group. Also have you tried stories where all the children together speak a repetitive refrain such as 'run, run as fast as you can, you can't catch me I'm the Gingerbread Man.' Sometimes very shy children will join in saying the last few words under cover of everyone else shouting. But if they are joining in your small circle, passing an object round etc, you are already helping them with their shyness and as you say it will be small steps from there.

You could try having drawing and talking partners where the children sit with a friend and draw what they want to say and talk to a friend about it. They can then share it with the rest of the group if they feel confident but at least will get a chance to participate in the circle-time.

I found being silly really helps. A couple of times week we have a silly session where I start with 'my favourite food/toy/number is.. ' and then each child has a turn if they want to, even if all they come pout with is 'blah'. Finally I end with 'my favourite silly word is...' and we each make up a silly word and all the children are rolling around laughing. I found that by the 3rd or 4th session even the quietist child will say or do something for their silly word and all the others will find it halarious. This gives them a confidence boost and within a few weeks they are too contributing their favourite food

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)