Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Ofsted Visit

Hello ive recently set up a pre-school ,opened october 2009, so i know it wont be to long till we get first inspection but i was just wondering do pre-schools get any noticed of ofsted coming or do they just suddenly appear one day? i have worked in childcare for a long time now and have always seemed to have missed the ofsted visit but now im the owner/manager i know i will have to deal with them and am a little worried any advice would be really great.thank you.

We opened Sep 2008 anjd it was Feb 2009 before we had our first visit . We had a call from the area office in the October half term of 2008 to confirm our opening times I neively said 'Are you updating records ?' -She said 'No you will be having a visit soon ' - then they didnt show till Feb . The other thing is we always breathed a sigh of relief at 9.30am each day thinking phew there not coming today but the lady,who was lovely , arrived at lunchtime and came back the following day too . It wasn't nearly as bad as you would think - the wait is much, much worse !! Dizzz

We opened Sep 2007 and had our first ofsted in May 2008

No warning.

I didn't even beleive the secretary when she said ofsted were in!!!!

Good job the lady had a sense of humour!!

We were told you should be ofsted'd within 6 months of registration but we had registered in the April of 2007 and weren't done till May 2008

I do think Ofsted inspections with private nurseries/ preschool are nicer than school ones having been through both!

Good luck x

Yes our went over Ofsteds guidelines timewise too - there is a timescale for inspecting new settings where they must be inspected within so many weeks after opening and our inspector was upfront enough to say she had gone over the time. Ours went very well but I did think afterwards if she had confessed this lapse to someone who wasnt given good news this could have formed a firm base for a complaint!!!!!