Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fun Ways That You Teach Letter Recognition...

Im stuck in a rut a bit as regards to teaching letter recognition to mu reception class (whole class but also groups).

Please could you share any games/activities that you do with your class.

many thanks in advance :o

I used white ping pong balls today with letters written on them. We pretended they were snowballs and threw them into buckets that had the matching letter on...

Also magnetic letters hidden in ice cubes...

I used white ping pong balls today with letters written on them. We pretended they were snowballs and threw them into buckets that had the matching letter on...

Also magnetic letters hidden in ice cubes...

I love those ideas!

We also use ping pong balls with letters on them in the water tray, with nets, and egg boxes to collect them in. If you use half dozen sized boxes you can build cvc words, mark the letters at the bottom of the box for them to match the balls and then 'read' the words once they're collected.

I have some very active boys in the class and made some HUGE card letters, covered in sticky back plastic (too big to laminate!) which I fix up outside and we run about the playground for initial letter sounds etc. Treasure hunts are always fun too - they have to find the letters on their card - I'd hide letters around the playground.

Another idea my previous teacher used was to cut out a large shape and then paint the letter lots of times on it eg. Octopus if the letter was O, and then have the children paint o's all over it. F - a fish with 'f's on it.

There must be loads of different ideas out there!

Maisie

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)